• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

I moving to New York have to leave ants behind :(

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:00 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

Hy everyone so recently I found a new job opportunity and am moving to New York and leaving Florida. This is sad because I can’t bring any of my ants so I have to let free of every single colony I have. Anyway my flights the day after tomorrow  and I’m in the process of letting go of my Solenopsis invicta colony back into my yard. I know all of you are going to say that I should kill them but I mean its only a 10 worker colony. Anyway on that note I have to change my profile. 

Sad AntsTopia Out

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:05 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Why not just apply for permits? Get someone to take care of your colonies and send them to you in NY once you’ve worked them out.

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted July 2 2023 - 2:39 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Why not just apply for permits? Get someone to take care of your colonies and send them to you in NY once you’ve worked them out.

I doubt he could get a permit for those RIFAS. Maybe if he has any native species he could acquire some.

And yes AntsTopia, you’re right in that we would tell you to kill them. There is good reason to.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 2 2023 - 3:38 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

I know but I do not think they will survive. Right where I put them is a huge pheidole megacephala colony. I highly doubt that the huge colony will stay peaceful with the small incoming fire ant colony. So I would rather other ants kill them than me.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted July 2 2023 - 3:42 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I know but I do not think they will survive. Right where I put them is a huge pheidole megacephala colony. I highly doubt that the huge colony will stay peaceful with the small incoming fire ant colony. So I would rather other ants kill them than me.

Why not just kill them then?

#6 Offline AntsTopia - Posted July 2 2023 - 3:44 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Idk I just feel bad for them. I have no right to take their life just because they are homicidal killer for native ant species and they own pretty much all of the us and like to waste billions of dollars on pesticides which can affect birds egg hatching rate. 

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#7 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 4 2023 - 10:12 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I mean the first part i kinda get. Invicta didn’t ask to be here, they’re just following their natural instincts and what they would do in their native habitat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users