• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Tetramorium Immigrans vs. Solenopsis invicta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted June 30 2023 - 3:51 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD
Both these species are invasive to north America and have successfully spread throughout the continent, but if there was 100 tetramorium workers and 100 solenopsis workers, who would win? Tetramorium are built war for because of their constant spring offensives every year. They have tough armor and they do sting, and are really aggressive if you break open a nest. I'm not really sure who is bigger though, invicta or Immigrans. Solenopsis on the other hand, in my opinion, have more painful stingers and are polymorphic meaning they have bigger soldiers and smaller minors. Solenopsis are also agressive but I never see them actually fighting another colony. So who is stronger?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 30 2023 - 5:16 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Invicta would stomp tetra into the ground lmao. They are much more aggressive, grow much faster and have more polymorphism.
  • AntPerson76 likes this

#3 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted June 30 2023 - 5:51 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Invicta would stomp tetra into the ground lmao. They are much more aggressive, grow much faster and have more polymorphism.

Are invicta meant for war though? I understand they dominate a lot of southeast USA, but tetramorium span more north and have evolved tough armor specifically for protection in battles. Would that armor protect them from invicta, or would it at least be close?

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 30 2023 - 6:31 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I think Tetramorium would have a chance because Solenopsis Invicta are 1-4 mm but Tetramorium are 3-5 mm so I think it matters what sizes are the workers. It's like the argument about samurai and knights, a 1600 samurai would smoke a 1400 European Knight and vice versa.A 5mm Tetramorium would smoke A 1mm Solenopsis and vice versa.

Edited by Virginian_ants, June 30 2023 - 6:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users