• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Making Water Fountains Safe for Small Ants

waterer water fountain water small ant waterer sugar/water sugar/water feeder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline rptraut - Posted June 21 2023 - 8:31 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Making Water Fountains Safe for Small Ants and How I Mix Sugar/Water 

Water fountains or waterers, (is there a better generic name for these) are a convenient way to provide water to small colonies and small ants in particular.  Unfortunately, these are the very ants that sometimes have difficulty reaching the water or wind-up drowning in it when they do.  For a while I solved this problem by putting small pieces of cotton in the base before screwing in the water bottle.  Pictured below is the newest way I'm making it safer for small ants by putting a piece of paper towel over the water bottle and then screwing the base on tightly.  Then I pull away the excess paper towel.  Unscrew the bottle from the base 1/4 turn to let air in.  I squirt some water in the openings in the base to help the ants get the water idea and it's ready to go.  Don't worry if there's some towel sticking out the top, water will wick up and small ants can drink safely there too.  

2023-06-20 003.JPG

How I make Sugar/Water

If you're using the fountain for sugar water, here's what I mix for my ants and hummingbird feeders.  Use any container you want, I use a four cup measuring cup.  I fill it half full with hot tap water (2 cup line).  Then I pour in white granulated sugar until the water line reaches the 3/4 mark (3 cup line).  Then I stir (or shake) vigorously until the sugar is dissolved.  Then I fill the container the rest of the way with cold water (4 cup line).  That gives me a solution of water and sugar at a 3:1 ratio and it's at a temperature that I can use right away.  To feed I usually use an eye dropper and sponge for small colonies and test tubes for larger ones. 

RPT

Edited by rptraut, February 5 2024 - 11:26 PM.

• ANTdrew, futurebird, bmb1bee and 3 others like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#2 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 24 2023 - 12:10 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

Nice!

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#3 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 24 2023 - 7:30 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

that's smart! (y)

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#4 Offline rptraut - Posted June 25 2023 - 1:59 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Thanks!

RPT

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterer, water fountain, water, small ant waterer, sugar/water, sugar/water feeder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users