• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

[delete]

camponotus antkeeping

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antking123 - Posted June 19 2023 - 3:55 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

deleted

Edited by Antking123, June 22 2023 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 19 2023 - 5:39 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA
May I ask how these were obtained…

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted June 20 2023 - 10:30 AM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Also, the prices are too high for customers.

• OiledOlives, bmb1bee and AntsCali098 like this

#4 Offline Antking123 - Posted June 21 2023 - 2:11 PM

Antking123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCA

The prices are more than justified, Camponotus Pennsylvanicus is one of the largest species of ants in North America and neither species can be found in California. Also, no California sellers have them available currently. I found them around Michigan so you can imagine the price in gas. The prices are still less than some of the Southern California sellers that charge around $200 for Mexican ant species.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 21 2023 - 2:16 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Was it legally transported interstate?

#6 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 21 2023 - 2:47 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

The prices are more than justified, Camponotus Pennsylvanicus is one of the largest species of ants in North America and neither species can be found in California. Also, no California sellers have them available currently. I found them around Michigan so you can imagine the price in gas. The prices are still less than some of the Southern California sellers that charge around $200 for Mexican ant species.

I can't say whether the prices were justified or not, but you would need permits to collect and sell these legally. The reason no CA sellers have them is because it would be illegal to obtain these without a proper permit and because it is difficult to get a permit for species not native to our state.

Unless you have proof of the aforementioned permit, I would highly recommend you not to sell these.

Edited by bmb1bee, June 21 2023 - 2:48 PM.

• AntsCali098 likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#7 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted June 21 2023 - 3:39 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

u know they have ocreatus. I don’t think cali is interested in our dull colored northeastern Camponotus.

#8 Offline AntObserver - Posted June 21 2023 - 5:10 PM

AntObserver

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

So others should pay because you drove to MI and back? Its big sure, but also basic color and very common in US and Canada. I have seen colonies of 50-100 workers for 120 (that's like a 2 year old colony). Your justifications don't add up.
Also Mexicanus (assuming that is what you meant) Go for 80-120. Not 200, unless you want a founded colony. Once again your prices are WAY too high. Especially for a plain Camponotus like these. They are worth 30-40 bucks at most. You would of been better off driving a few hours to desert and collecting Myrmecocystus species. As apposed to days driving for overpriced ants. Just some honest thoughts, best of luck and happy anting. 

Edited by AntObserver, June 21 2023 - 5:25 PM.

#9 Offline OiledOlives - Posted June 21 2023 - 7:46 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia
I'm more concerned with the legality than the pricing here.

Since neither species is present in California and the poster clearly states that the ants are from the Northeast, we'd have to infer that these ants were either transported illegally or legally with a permit.

If transported illegally, the poster is reselling illegal and exotic ants to people in CA.

If transported legally (with the appropriate PPQ-526 permit) the permit clearly states that the ants must NOT be redistributed.

The USDA will also not grant redistribution permits for species where they are not found, like C. novaeboracensis to CA.

This sales post is illegal and should be deleted/removed.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk
  • bmb1bee and AntsCali098 like this

#10 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 22 2023 - 8:27 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

I'm more concerned with the legality than the pricing here.

Since neither species is present in California and the poster clearly states that the ants are from the Northeast, we'd have to infer that these ants were either transported illegally or legally with a permit.

If transported illegally, the poster is reselling illegal and exotic ants to people in CA.

If transported legally (with the appropriate PPQ-526 permit) the permit clearly states that the ants must NOT be redistributed.

The USDA will also not grant redistribution permits for species where they are not found, like C. novaeboracensis to CA.

This sales post is illegal and should be deleted/removed.

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

I don't know why anyone said this before

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#11 Offline bmb1bee - Posted June 22 2023 - 8:56 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I don't know why anyone said this before

(I believe I hinted at it.) Oiled Olives explained it better though.

Edited by bmb1bee, June 22 2023 - 8:57 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus, antkeeping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users