• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is this insect

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Online Voidley - Posted June 16 2023 - 4:58 AM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC

Caught in NYC, it's a couple millimeters long. Any ideas what this is?

IMG_5965.jpg

Edited by Voidley, June 16 2023 - 4:58 AM.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted June 16 2023 - 5:02 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
wasp

#3 Online Voidley - Posted June 16 2023 - 5:51 AM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC

wasp

thank you, any idea what kind it is? I don't really know anything about wasps

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 16 2023 - 1:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There’s only 50,000 possibilities.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Ernteameise - Posted June 16 2023 - 1:46 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, it is not a gall wasp and not a Vespidae.

My first thought was fig wasp, but their shape is different.

So we are probably looking at a tiny parasitoid wasp with huge eyes.

And I found this with a little bit of Google-Fu:

https://www.smithson...ural-defenders/

And there I am, thinking again I missed my calling in not becoming an entomologist.

Edited by Ernteameise, June 16 2023 - 1:47 PM.

#6 Online Voidley - Posted June 16 2023 - 8:16 PM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC

Once again, I know basically nothing about wasps but from iNaturalist and a brief bit of googling, it might be of the superfamily Ceraphronoidea. By the sound of it though it seems like it's sort of hopeless to know for certain.

• Ernteameise likes this

#7 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted July 5 2023 - 7:49 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

Once again, I know basically nothing about wasps but from iNaturalist and a brief bit of googling, it might be of the superfamily Ceraphronoidea. By the sound of it though it seems like it's sort of hopeless to know for certain.

Yeah kind of

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#8 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 5 2023 - 8:38 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I've actually been doing quite a bit of work with parasitoids for my entomology job so i think I might be able to narrow it down. This looks like either a eulophid or a pteromalid, which are two very similar looking families. Assuming you still have the specimen best way to figure out which one is to check the tarsal segments on the legs, if there is four its a eulophid while if there is 5 its a pteromalid.

#9 Online Voidley - Posted August 5 2023 - 9:35 PM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNYC

I've actually been doing quite a bit of work with parasitoids for my entomology job so i think I might be able to narrow it down. This looks like either a eulophid or a pteromalid, which are two very similar looking families. Assuming you still have the specimen best way to figure out which one is to check the tarsal segments on the legs, if there is four its a eulophid while if there is 5 its a pteromalid.

Unfortunately the specimen is long gone. However, out of the two families you listed, I would guess that it is a pteromalid. This is based on this: https://bugguide.net/node/view/18139 which says that eulophids have a "2 to 4-segmented funicle," which I don't think mine has. Additionally, eulophids supposedly "shrivel up badly after death," which my specimen did not. Based on this, I think it's more likely to be from the family Pteromalidae. That said though, I still think that it shares some resemblance with the superfamily Ceraphronoidea. Are you confident that it is one of the two families you mentioned? this is way out of my domain so I could be going about this all wrong. Either way thank you for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users