• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How far can an ant fall?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntPerson76 - Posted June 12 2023 - 5:54 AM

AntPerson76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

I was falling asleep last night and suddenly wondered, how far can an ant fall without dying?

I've seen camponotus pennsylvanicus workers fall off my 12 foot high porch and be fine, but I wanted to know how much higher an ant could fall from and still be okay. Does anyone have an idea or have seen how far camponotus ants can fall without getting injured?

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted June 12 2023 - 8:15 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Most (if not all) ants can fall infinitely deep without getting injured.

Their low weight makes the air like thin honey for them, they don't really fall, they sink through the air and never reach a terminal velocity that is high enough to serious damage them when they impact onto the ground.

Edited by Serafine, June 12 2023 - 8:16 AM.

• antperson24 and AntPerson76 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 12 2023 - 8:23 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah the only major exceptions are repletes and physogastric queens, both of which can splatter if dropped.
  • AntPerson76 likes this

#4 Offline Myrmidons - Posted June 12 2023 - 9:04 AM

Myrmidons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMaryland

The ants terminal velocity is very small, so it doesn't matter about the height given normal conditions.

• AntPerson76 likes this

#5 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 12 2023 - 7:44 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Yeah the only major exceptions are repletes and physogastric queens, both of which can splatter if dropped.

Ouch... splatter...

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users