• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus herculeanus moved too soon?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Deanmontague - Posted April 26 2023 - 8:00 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi guys

I moved both my colonies into their nests out of starting test tubes when I took them out of hibernation this year. Lasius niger colony at 80+ workers thriving and eating everything about to double their colony and my camponotus colony has gone from 8 workers to 4 (one was my fault) but 3 have died inside this new nest. They were the nanitics so I don’t know if it’s just the short life span. They hatched summer last year.

The queen has a small batch of eggs and is nursing 2-3 bigger larvae - should I put the nest back on a heat source? I’m in the UK and just decided not to use the heat mat for the new nests but did use them for their old test tubes.

I’m worried the nest is too big for them? I read you can move camponotus in with a smaller amount of workers - they do go into the foraging area for sugar etc but they barely eat any protein. I’m not sure why they’re dying. What should I do? Move her back into a test tube, add a heat source, or just hope for the best ?

#2 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted April 26 2023 - 8:11 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

(not a pro)

that's what happens after hibernation, most of the workers will die.

I would say keep the Camponotus's on a heating mat for the time being. 

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 26 2023 - 10:34 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I wouldn’t say most workers die after hibernation but there will pretty much always be some casualties.
  • antsinvirgina likes this

#4 Offline Deanmontague - Posted April 26 2023 - 12:11 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
I haven’t noticed any of my niger ants die off yet as I clean their trash out weekly (they’re very clean.. my camponotus are dirty..)

I know these are a slow growing species but I just don’t know how they could survive in the wild with a colony of 5…

I checked and her first worker was mid July last year .. so that’s 9 months?

#5 Offline Rrar - Posted April 26 2023 - 5:19 PM

Rrar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I haven’t noticed any of my niger ants die off yet as I clean their trash out weekly (they’re very clean.. my camponotus are dirty..)

I know these are a slow growing species but I just don’t know how they could survive in the wild with a colony of 5…

Lasius niger are pretty tough but I don't know how they can live for that long.

Are you sure about that?

canada = boring!!!!!

I want attaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

also: Camponotus ca02 ( probably not possible though)

#6 Offline Hothkinstroy - Posted April 26 2023 - 5:23 PM

Hothkinstroy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Camponotus essentially require heating to grow fast. I don't think it's the nest, I think it's the heating.

• antsinvirgina likes this

if you want to get in contact with me, here's my Discord:

Discord: hoth#0177

#7 Offline DRpepper - Posted April 27 2023 - 5:47 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Lasius niger are pretty tough but I don't know how they can live for that long.

Are you sure about that?

lasuis workers in a lab have been noted to live for multiple years 

#8 Offline DRpepper - Posted April 27 2023 - 5:50 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Hi guys

I moved both my colonies into their nests out of starting test tubes when I took them out of hibernation this year. Lasius niger colony at 80+ workers thriving and eating everything about to double their colony and my camponotus colony has gone from 8 workers to 4 (one was my fault) but 3 have died inside this new nest. They were the nanitics so I don’t know if it’s just the short life span. They hatched summer last year.

The queen has a small batch of eggs and is nursing 2-3 bigger larvae - should I put the nest back on a heat source? I’m in the UK and just decided not to use the heat mat for the new nests but did use them for their old test tubes.

I’m worried the nest is too big for them? I read you can move camponotus in with a smaller amount of workers - they do go into the foraging area for sugar etc but they barely eat any protein. I’m not sure why they’re dying. What should I do? Move her back into a test tube, add a heat source, or just hope for the best ?

Its not Unlikely that camos would experience 3 casualties over winter. what I would do is just makes sure they have plenty of food and plenty of water and heat and leave them alone. They should be fine as long as you didn't give them a massive nest. Also small colonies might not appear to eat protein but i assure you they are. 

#9 Offline Deanmontague - Posted April 30 2023 - 6:01 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah no lasius deaths yet - at least not ones I can find in their trash. They’re likely to double in population in a few weeks they’re growing like crazy.

My Camponotus’s are dirty as hell… it’s not a massive nest, it’s a mini hearth with 3 chambers. She’s got about 5-6 biggish larvae now so I think it’s just taken time. Down to 4 workers.

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I’m just worrying and they’re slow. I’ll get a heat mat under the nest to help, thanks

#10 Offline Deanmontague - Posted May 1 2023 - 4:04 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Guys I put the heat map under their nest which is a 3 chambers mini hearth with foraging outworld attached on top - I’ve tried to only put half the mat under to avoid the hydration chamber but even so the side the hydration chamber is on is still condensing on the glass even on a low heat. Is this a cause for concern? The rest of the glass is okay I’ll attach a pic

I just don’t want to risk drowning them - it’s on a low heat

https://photos.app.g...Q6Skh2tux33KUu8

#11 Offline nofuel11 - Posted May 2 2023 - 8:49 PM

nofuel11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Guys I put the heat map under their nest which is a 3 chambers mini hearth with foraging outworld attached on top - I’ve tried to only put half the mat under to avoid the hydration chamber but even so the side the hydration chamber is on is still condensing on the glass even on a low heat. Is this a cause for concern? The rest of the glass is okay I’ll attach a pic

I just don’t want to risk drowning them - it’s on a low heat

https://photos.app.g...Q6Skh2tux33KUu8

That 3 chamber THA nest sure looks cool and is really nice, but it seems like it may be way way way too big for a colony of 4 ants. I'm wondering if transferring them over to a simple test tube would help them feel more safe and secure to grow more. 

I have a camponotus colony that's the same age and it's currently at 40 workers with about 3 huge majors so far, and all I did was leave them in a test tube. They're growing like crazy. I don't use any heat, the room is almost always about 70 degrees so not warm either. I left them in a tube after finding out that ants like very extremely insanely cramped spaces to feel comfortable. I read that a big airy nest makes them feel on edge and stressed 24/7 like they can never relax.. 

#12 Offline Deanmontague - Posted May 6 2023 - 9:01 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes I thought this too but read that at 10+ workers they’re able to be moved but obviously hadn’t planned to lose so many workers

I feel like moving them at this point may be more stressful and honestly not sure how to get them from a nest into a tube..

They have about 7 good sized larvae now so the population should boost back up to 10 soon

40 in a test tube how is it not too cramped for them? Mine are herculeanus so quite big. The queen could barely turn around in a larger sized test tube.

I had to remove the heat source. Even when having it half and half it was condensing the water chamber and one worker got stuck to it so down to 3 workers :\

#13 Offline Deanmontague - Posted May 23 2023 - 11:28 AM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Down to two workers now.. started with 9 after hibernation. Doesn’t quite feel right? They were nanitics of herculeanus from last summer so been alive less than 12 months I’d say.

Queen has one pupae and 2-3 medium sized larvae.

Not sure what to do. Should I move them back out of the mini hearth and into a test tube again? I really don’t want to stress her out

#14 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted May 23 2023 - 12:09 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I have a similar story. My Formica Pallidefulva coming had about 10 workers in about September then the queen stopped laying eggs. They stayed slowly losing workers throughout the winter and early spring. Then the queen started laying eggs suddenly and they had 2 workers at a point and then they bounced back I brood boosted them and they are doing really well now. That was last winter and this spring. Try to brood boost them. I think you should stop watering to dry out mini hearth and give them a test tube to move into.Let them move in by themselves.

#15 Offline Deanmontague - Posted May 24 2023 - 3:33 PM

Deanmontague

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah I could try that. Queen hasn’t moved from the bottom chamber of the mini hearth since I put her in it though.

I can’t really brood boost as the species isn’t native to the UK (seems to be the only place it’s not native for some reason) so would have to buy another queen with brood to boost it ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users