• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Nylanderia flavipes question.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Quackmin - Posted May 22 2023 - 10:45 AM

Quackmin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Spotted a Nylanderia flavipes flight today and caught a 12 queens. I was wondering if there a Polygynous type of ant? If so how many per test tube should I put in?

#2 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted May 22 2023 - 11:37 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

Spotted a Nylanderia flavipes flight today and caught a 12 queens. I was wondering if there a Polygynous type of ant? If so how many per test tube should I put in?

yes. I have two four queen colonies. 1 12 queen colony and another 10 plus queen colony. Depending on how many colonies you want I would do a 4 4 4

Edited by Jonathan5608, May 22 2023 - 11:57 AM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2023 - 1:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

yes. I have two four queen colonies. 1 12 queen colony and another 10 plus queen colony. Depending on how many colonies you want I would do a 4 4 4
How long have you had these multi-queen colonies?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted May 22 2023 - 2:35 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

How long have you had these multi-queen colonies?
sry I should of put founding queens. these I just caught but last year I had a two queen colony for months. Unfortunately mold killed them. I’m quite sure that there polygynous.

Edited by Jonathan5608, May 22 2023 - 2:36 PM.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 22 2023 - 5:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have my doubts about them being polygynous.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted May 22 2023 - 5:33 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I have my doubts about them being polygynous.

isn’t that the whole niche and defining feature that this ant species is unusually polygynous. Not their main defining feature but one of their defining features.

Edited by Jonathan5608, May 22 2023 - 5:44 PM.

#7 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 23 2023 - 3:39 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

No, the invasive populations in the US are secondarily monogynous, meaning that they will only cooperate during founding and will turn on each other once two or three generations of workers emerge. You can do however many you would like but I put mine in groups of 2 to 3.

• Quackmin likes this

#8 Offline Flu1d - Posted May 23 2023 - 3:45 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida

No, the invasive populations in the US are secondarily monogynous, meaning that they will only cooperate during founding and will turn on each other once two or three generations of workers emerge. You can do however many you would like but I put mine in groups of 2 to 3.

Secondarily monogynous, is that another term for pleometrotic?

#9 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 23 2023 - 4:16 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

It's the correct term for what hobbyists use pleometrotic for, yes

#10 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 23 2023 - 5:09 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Secondarily monogynous, is that another term for pleometrotic?

The technical definitions are

Haplometrosis: colony founded by 1 queen
Pleometrosis: colony founded by 2+ queens
Primary monogyny: colony starts with 1 queen and never gets any more
Secondary monogyny: colony starts with 2+ queens, extras are killed off until 1 remains
Primary polygyny: Colony starts with 2+ queens and never accepts more
Secondary polygyny: Colony accepts extra queens later on
Oligogyny: Workers tolerate multiple queens but other queens do not, thus queens are kept in separate parts of the nest

Hobbyists often use pleometrosis to mean secondary monogyny.
  • CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#11 Offline Flu1d - Posted May 24 2023 - 8:37 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I see, its good to have all of the terms at one time in front of you like that. Thank you for your detailed reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users