• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best practices for moving colony with large brood pile out of test tube?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antkeeper55 - Posted May 18 2023 - 1:26 PM

antkeeper55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi everyone, after getting a lot of help here escape-proofing the formicarium, I'm trying to move my colony of Monomorium minimum into it. I've attached the test tube they're in currently to it, but the tubing connecting the two is really long, because I had to attach 3 sizes of tube end to end in order to get it down to the right size.There are 6 queens, and one of them moved in very quickly (a few hours). However, a day later, the other 5 don't seem to have any intention of leaving the test tube, as they have a massive brood pile. How should I encourage them to move out? I've attempted to attach an image of the current setup.

20230518_171304.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 18 2023 - 1:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
With Monomins, I just dump them into the new setup. It helps a lot that their brood isn’t very sticky and usually just falls out in a clump. It’s good to give them a few days to explore before dumping, so they know where to go.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted May 18 2023 - 1:31 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Just dump them. Most ants take to dumping quite well unless its a really sensitive species

#4 Offline antkeeper55 - Posted May 18 2023 - 2:05 PM

antkeeper55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Oh okay, good to know that dumping works for these. Will do that, give them some time to explore and then dump them in. Thank you both.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users