• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Central Florida Queen Identification Help :)

florida north america solenopsis

Best Answer Mettcollsuss , April 29 2023 - 4:38 PM

Solenopsis invicta Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Floridaman - Posted April 29 2023 - 4:33 PM

Floridaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone, I just recently picked back up ant keeping as a hobby and currently live in Florida. On my way home today I managed to catch what I believe to be are 8 queens. They are all the same coloration and species. I have attached a picture of my personal favorite (she has broken off one of her wings). My best guess is they are indeed a solenopsis species of some kind, however their temperament is very calm and coloration seems to have these bands around most if not all of their abdomen. They are also somewhat small from what I was expecting, however again I am new these are just my first thoughts. Thank you and sorry for the long winded description, exciting times ahead!

Attached Images

• A1C471F9-43C8-4FE8-9B8E-4794DBC69D78.jpeg
  • F97BEBA4-B24C-48A0-AD85-3B2FA2B2400A.jpeg
  • AAA92079-A74F-4F7B-82C4-5CC8F491DF08.jpeg
  • 3505102D-F0AE-4C4A-BF50-7D3ECA664631.jpeg

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 29 2023 - 4:38 PM   Best Answer

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Solenopsis invicta

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 29 2023 - 4:39 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry for your loss.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline Floridaman - Posted April 29 2023 - 4:49 PM

Floridaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Haha thank you both! I appreciate the responses and apologies I’m still learning the forums. My school kills off most of the invasive’s in the area as they sting and cause problems so I was comparing them in size to carpenter workers which are large in themselves. I will most likely keep one or two that make it and donate the rest to a nearby study if they survive. Thanks again!
  • Antkid345 likes this

#5 Offline Flu1d - Posted May 2 2023 - 3:37 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
I keep Solenopsis invicta and they are very fun ants. My colony is up to a couple.. or even a few.. hundred workers at this point! They grow super fast if you make sure they have heat and water. Once she has her first workers, I typically wait a couple to a few days to let them harden up and then I give a fruit fly (or two depending on how big the species is) and some honey.

S. invicta LOVE heat, and you will oftentimes find them crowding wherever you have the Heating cable laying (don't put it too close to the water or you might have some flooding)

If you have any questions hit me up!

Edit:

I, too, am a Floridaman 🤣

Edited by Flu1d, May 2 2023 - 3:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: florida, north america, solenopsis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users