• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Found in east Tn Ant 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:08 PM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I need help with this one. My wife plugged in the fountain outside for the humming birds and a ant popped out. After a small chase we finally caught her in a test tube and got a closer look. It was a queen, and what a sweet score as it is for sure different than my other one. I set her up a chamber and placed her in the dark, and within a week she had some eggs of her own. I am having trouble figuring out what ant this is and any help would be appreciated

Attached Images

• IMG_0302.jpg
  • IMG_0303.jpg
  • IMG_0304.jpg
  • IMG_0305.jpg

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:31 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
Seems to lack malar hairs, so Camponotus decipiens.

#3 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:36 PM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

oh cool, thank you so very much

#4 Offline Anti_Antillary - Posted April 23 2023 - 4:45 PM

Anti_Antillary

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

according to antmaps this ant has a single dot around Chattanooga. don't know if that is a single study or sighting but this arboreal species of Camponotus is not common here. Then again maybe just not reported, because I have one from what it appears.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 23 2023 - 7:30 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I wouldn’t fully rely on antmaps records. While they are useful, they aren’t completely representative of where a species is found and i have found many species in locations not recorded on the website.
  • MinigunL5, rptraut and Anti_Antillary like this

#6 Offline madbiologist - Posted April 25 2023 - 1:53 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

according to antmaps this ant has a single dot around Chattanooga. don't know if that is a single study or sighting but this arboreal species of Camponotus is not common here. Then again maybe just not reported, because I have one from what it appears.

Antmaps only includes official records of a species, which are specimens that have either been submitted to a museum/collection, or were identified in a research study. The density of their records are mostly dependent on how often studies/surveys are done in that state, as well as how many locations they cover. Due to this, websites like antmaps are sometimes not very representative of ranges at the in-state level. I checked iNaturalist, and they've got a lot more sightings around Chattanooga (and Tennessee in general), but community-based sites like that can sometimes have inaccurate identifications, and might be biased by where people happen to live, since more people=more observations. Overall, it's best to take multiple sources into consideration and not rely too heavily on one for this sort of thing. Ants in general are usually undersampled.

• Anti_Antillary likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users