• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alexant's Laius niger and Flavus journals

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Crystals - Posted October 23 2015 - 7:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

You can make a small feeder with sugar water or hummingbird nectar.  http://www.formicult...-liquid-feeder/

Ants are quite hardy.  With Lasius, as long as they have access to sugary drinks they will be fine for 2 weeks or so.  Longer than that and you should have the house sitter chop a meal worm in two and drop it into a bottle cap.  When you come back, just toss the bottle cap out. Most insurance companies require that you have someone check on your house daily if you are gone for more than a couple of days in a row (at least in Canada).

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#22 Offline Alexant - Posted October 23 2015 - 7:54 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Thank you very much(I'm in the UK just in case you were wondering).

#23 Offline bibiwood - Posted October 23 2015 - 1:27 PM

bibiwood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

If you are in Europe there is a guy selling fluon on ebay under the name "SLIPPY".

He is shipping from Poland and the price are pretty reasonable.

#24 Offline Alexant - Posted November 21 2015 - 4:02 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

All ants have survived. There are more workers than when i left. It appears that my 2 Queen colony has undergone colonial fission. There testube was almost out of water so i supplied a new one. The colony quickly moved but they left a Queen behind with no brood or workers. I will leave her fpr a few days and see how she gets on. Lasius flavus has workers. That is all.

#25 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 8 2016 - 7:23 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Hey bud. For some reason your name was stuck in my head last night. Today i do a search on my new colony and find this. Your thread on Flavus and Niger. The two colonies i have.

#26 Offline Alexant - Posted May 8 2016 - 8:21 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hey. Well my colonies did not make it. I have no idea why. Some refused to eat, others just died. I am not deterred and will try again this year. Fingers crossed and good luck to you!

#27 Offline Loops117 - Posted May 8 2016 - 7:25 PM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

My bad, i have T. Sessile, not Niger. I jumped the gun before they were ID'd. Sorry about your colonies though. Better luck this season.

#28 Offline Alexant - Posted May 8 2016 - 11:35 PM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

No problem and the same to you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users