• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alexant's Laius niger and Flavus journals

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alexant - Posted August 9 2015 - 5:53 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Lasius niger:

I have had a L.niger colony for about a year now. There is a single Queen, about 25 workers and a huge pile of brood. However, it has been this way for man months, no growth which is weird. They have been eating, the larva have black stomachs. As much as I would like them to grow more, she is the oldest Queen I have owned. This year, I collected more Queens. I have a 5 Queen colony and a 2 Queen colony. They are both healthy and have enormous piles of brood, including small larvae.

Lasius flavus:

This is the first year I have collected flavus. I have 3 colonies. The first 2 are in red tinted test tubes and have 4 Queens in both. It is hard to tell if they have any brood but I think that both colonies do. The third has 2 Queens and they are in a gel-less gel ant farm filled with fine dirt and sand. At first, they didn't dig so I used a pencil to create a shaft for them. They immediately moved in and dug out a small chamber. They have also dug 2 horizontal tunnels either side. Fortunately they are right up against the glass so I can see that they have a smaller pile of brood. They have not sealed the tunnel.

That is all for now, I will keep you all informed. Thank you for reading,

Alex

#2 Offline Alexant - Posted August 21 2015 - 4:13 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello everybody. The ants are doing well. Lots of cocoons. Quick Question: my oldest colony(with workers) is not getting any pupae. Any ideas why?

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted August 21 2015 - 6:42 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Do ants in your area have a hibernation period?  Or does it snow?

They may be waiting for hibernation.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 21 2015 - 6:43 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Without any other information, I could only guess that the larvae aren't mature enough to pupate yet or they're dying or being eaten before pupating.

#5 Offline Alexant - Posted August 21 2015 - 7:02 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Thanks for the help. They bare laying and eating so I'm not sure.

#6 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted August 21 2015 - 10:28 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

I've seen this a few times. Lasius hibernate with small larvae and they will not develop if not hibernated.

#7 Offline Alexant - Posted August 21 2015 - 11:59 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Fair enough.

#8 Offline Alexant - Posted September 6 2015 - 10:06 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

We have workers in the 2 Queen L.niger colony. The others haven't changed since the last update. :yahoo:

#9 Offline Alexant - Posted September 16 2015 - 5:42 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Disaster. The 5 Queen colony completely died over night. I have no idea why, no injuries or anything. Very strange. I have sterilised the test tube and moved all colonies elsewhere. The other two are doing well though they are not foraging. Still no change with the Lasius flavus.

#10 Offline Alexant - Posted September 21 2015 - 10:45 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Good news Everyone. The Lasius niger colonies are now foraging and have taken to the sugar water I am supplying. Sorry about the poor Photo Quality.

Attached Images

• 20150921_194215.jpg
  • 20150921_194205.jpg
  • 20150921_194225.jpg

Edited by Alexant, September 21 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted September 21 2015 - 2:16 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

How are you planning to feed the Lasius flavus? Since they're subterranean. 

#12 Offline Alexant - Posted September 22 2015 - 5:20 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I have seen them forage around where I am and I will see if it would be possible to supply aphids/mealy bugs.

#13 Offline Alexant - Posted September 30 2015 - 8:33 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Good news. The 2 Queen niger colony are foraging and collecting food. However, the vasaline i am using to keep them in is next to useless. Some walk straight over it and some are even getting stuck in it. Any thoughts?

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 30 2015 - 8:47 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
http://www.byformica.com/Fluon

Free shipping worldwide when you use PayPal.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2015 - 9:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Good news. The 2 Queen niger colony are foraging and collecting food. However, the vasaline i am using to keep them in is next to useless. Some walk straight over it and some are even getting stuck in it. Any thoughts?

Vaseline is a horrible way to contain ants. I tried using it when I first got into this hobby and it never worked. Talcum powder works much better, but is a pain in the butt to maintain. The slightest touch and it's gone. Fluon is the way to go; nothing can compare to it. It's durable, and hardly any ant can walk up it.

#16 Offline Crystals - Posted September 30 2015 - 9:21 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Lasius are tough to contain.  Fluon is the best, although you may end up adding an upside down edge around your foraging area.  I have yet to see an ant walk upside down on fluon.  I have seen some walk over it vertically, especially in corners.

Pea aphids are pretty easy to culture, not sure if your Lasius will look after them or eat.  I found that Lasius love fruit juices.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#17 Offline Alexant - Posted September 30 2015 - 10:48 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Thank you very much for all the help. I knew that corners were a containment nightmare. I have them in a round firaging area. As for the aphids I will definatluy look into those. :) ​

#18 Offline Alexant - Posted October 23 2015 - 12:32 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I am going on holiday rather soon. What should i do to prepare my ants for this?

#19 Offline antmaniac - Posted October 23 2015 - 1:47 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Put some sugar water/feeder would help, feed them well before you leave for holiday. Then depends on how long you are going away for holiday. Remember to have sufficient water and make sure they can't escape. 

#20 Offline Alexant - Posted October 23 2015 - 2:23 AM

Alexant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Thank you very much. I will be away for a week. they are still in their test tubes with a foraging area which is escape proof. I have been feeding them well. They have lots of water and I am giving them their final feed the day before I leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users