• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Messor barbarus colony

248 replies to this topic

#161 Offline Propo.Fol - Posted August 26 2023 - 7:06 PM

Propo.Fol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNY

Love this journal.  Your journal was the first I read when I discovered this site, and I just re-read the whole thing a second time with the context of a little more basic knowledge.  Have to say I especially appreciate getting to learn about some of the European species, and am jealous we can't get these here!  

I really appreciate how the antcube portion of the nest allows observation of tunneling and seed storage behavior in an aesthetically pleasing way while the ants are actually living in the much more practical acrylic nest.  I don't know if that was the plan all along but it certainly works.  Can't wait to see the custom tarheels nest when it comes in.

Have you had any issues with seeds sprouting in the dirt part of the nest?  For that matter, how have you been managing humidity in that section?  If at all given they're not actively living there.

Haha, nah, the actual plan was for the colony to move out and into the ant cube. The acrylic nest was just the "starter" nest. For some reason, they girls just never moved out.

I have been told they know best....

These Messors are VERY aware of humidity and react to it accordingly.

I think the issues with seed sprouting might be mainly in smaller colonies?

I once made the mistake of watering the Ant Cube nest (I now keep it dry because of the seed storage). The ants had seed stored in there.

They were pretty quick rescuing the seed and stashing it in the out- world. Most likely swearing at me.

This is natural behaviour (according to one of my ant books).

After a rain, Messor bring their seed outside and let it dry out.

I can observe this very well with my girls- they pretty much re-organize their seed after disturbances and even after I fed new seed of different sizes.

Then everything has to be brought outside, re-shuffled, re-sorted and then brought back inside.

Also a big plus is that Messor can regulate the humidity in their nest themselves. At least larger colonies can do this. I can see this working in the acrylic nest (as you have seen, the humidifyer is broken), the ants drink a lot and carry the water into the nest. My colony is thriving.

So I can keep the seed storage nest dry, and if they ever wanted, they could moisten it themselves.

I also asked Mack from THA to only add ONE water tower to the custom nest. The internal caves will be lined with vermiculite, so the ants can regulate the humidity themselves by moistening the walls as they like it.

I am pretty paranoid about mold and the seed sprouting issue (even if I have seen that they have the seed rescue operation under control).

I think I made a good decision in getting this species.

They are pretty cool and very forgiving to mistakes.

Wow thanks for the response, this was all very fascinating.  The whole seed storage, organization and safeguarding behavior is a really neat thing to get to see in our little habitats and makes me want a harvester species.  Maybe one day!  Although I don't think I'd trust my children around our american harvester species which mostly pack a potent sting :blink:

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#162 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 27 2023 - 11:17 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

As for the question what my Messor would do with the hazelnut.

The still closed one in the shell is pretty much ignored.

And the open one has at least some chew-marks on it.

But that is it.

How disappointing.

I had high hopes after I had seen what the Messor colony of the guy from my Facebook group did to their hazelnuts.

Maybe my colony is still too small? And they content themselves with smaller seed?

As proof, the chew marks on the nut:

2708-Messor-nut.jpg

• Full_Frontal_Yeti and 100lols like this

#163 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 27 2023 - 11:33 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow thanks for the response, this was all very fascinating.  The whole seed storage, organization and safeguarding behavior is a really neat thing to get to see in our little habitats and makes me want a harvester species.  Maybe one day!  Although I don't think I'd trust my children around our american harvester species which mostly pack a potent sting :blink:

Well, I have to say I actually love the look of your harvesters. But at a guess, one does often wish for what one cannot get.

When I was in my youth, I actually liked the European fire ants best and they were the first which I tried keeping. Boring old Lasius without a stinger was just not for this girl. It needed fire and temperament!

Much more exciting to avoid getting stung.

But I was also the type of inquisitive kid who wanted to find out how a lawnmower works. I found out. There are rotating knives inside. Since then, I am missing the top of one of my fingers.

Needless to say, my parents never had a boring minute with me around.

So maybe an option for later, when your kids are more "adventurous" and have learned how to avoid harm?

• ANTdrew, 100lols and Propo.Fol like this

#164 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted August 29 2023 - 8:48 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Those images of a major on your hand are great. Little jelly here to see that, as the Pogonomyrmex i keep are pure destruction machines that try to bite the crap out of anything that moves near them.

And yes, as you have noticed. I too am super glad my colony decided the small outworld was just more nest, as it lets me more easily observe all their behaviors.

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

#165 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 30 2023 - 10:33 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Here are some nice pictures of my majors caring for the brood.

You can also see some chopped up bits of crickets with which the babies are fed.

3008-Messor-larven.jpg

3008-Messor-larven2.jpg

3008-Messor-larven3.jpg

And here is the proof:

These girls are not really into Dubia roaches.

I also offered them a small cricket, and that was much more attractive.

3008-Messor-Schabe.jpg

• Serafine, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 100lols like this

#166 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 3 2023 - 10:21 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

The girls enjoying their crickets and are busy defending their seed stash in the outworld.

0309-Messor.jpg

0309-Arena-seed-stash.jpg

• Serafine and 100lols like this

#167 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 10 2023 - 2:22 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

These girls are growing and not slowing down.

I have not heard back from Tarheel ants about the custom nest, but I think if it is finished and arrives in the next couple of months, these girls will be absolutely ready for it.

1009-Messor.jpg

• Serafine, ANTdrew and 100lols like this

#168 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 10 2023 - 2:31 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,424 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The girls enjoying their crickets and are busy defending their seed stash in the outworld.

0309-Messor.jpg

0309-Arena-seed-stash.jpg

Wow! So these ants are the exception to Myrmy’s Law! They look cool, too. What’s not to love!?
  • Serafine and Ernteameise like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#169 Offline 100lols - Posted September 10 2023 - 9:53 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Couldn’t agree more they’re stunning. Plus I love how spoiled these ladies are :)
  • Ernteameise likes this

#170 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 10 2023 - 10:47 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Thank you guys!

I love these girls to bits, so far, they have not let me down or disappointed me.

So I see no reason not to spoil them.

So today I tried another piece of Dubia roach.

They are still not big fans, but I think they might be acquiring a taste!

(maybe it is the smell of these roaches that puts them off?)

Check this out:

1009-Messor-roach.jpg

• Serafine, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 100lols like this

#171 Offline StupidPheidoleMajor - Posted September 12 2023 - 12:46 PM

StupidPheidoleMajor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHamilton

Any news about the tha nest?

#172 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 12 2023 - 1:02 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Any news about the tha nest?

No, not yet.

But Mack posted in the THA Facebook group that they had major issues in the past couple of weeks with the production process because it was so exceedingly hot.

So many orders were delayed.

This is the risk with dealing with a small company which is extremely popular.

You will have to wait.

Delays happen.

I will be away for 10 days for my Scuba Diving holiday in Italy- so if he comes back to me next week, he will himself have to wait for me to come back for an answer.

I still have to pay shipping before he will be able to ship, but he will only be able to tell me how much shipping will be when he has made the nest.

• 100lols likes this

#173 Offline 100lols - Posted September 12 2023 - 3:18 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
It’s peak season as well so Mack deserves all the patience :) I had a delay with a recent THA order as well, but it’s to be expected at this time of the year.
  • Ernteameise likes this

#174 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 13 2023 - 11:51 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

So in the mornings, when I check the girls while I drink me tea, the front area of the acrylic nest is packed.

Just girls, chilling.

1309-Messor-2.jpg

I also had an adventurous major climbing up the digfix, viewing the outworld from the very top.

Such a cute picture!

1309-Messor.jpg

Can you guess how she got back down to the bottom of the outworld?

Yep.

She just let herself drop down.

Just to shorten the distance and could not be bothered walking.

I think this is interesting.

I was already fascinated by the reports in "Adventures among Ants" by Mark Moffet-

he reported that both weaver ants and leaf-cutter ants (and a couple more species) use simple jumping from branches as a valid and economic way of getting back to the ground.

Leaf-cutters sometimes also cuts the leaves and let them drop and then jump down after.

• Serafine, Full_Frontal_Yeti, 100lols and 1 other like this

#175 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 14 2023 - 10:49 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Right- I am off to my scuba diving holiday in Italy tomorrow.

I fed and watered all my girls, and now they have to survive without me for 9 days.

Luckily, it will be a bit cooler in the coming days (mid twenties), so their metabolism will be a bit slower.

Edited by Ernteameise, September 14 2023 - 10:50 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#176 Offline 100lols - Posted September 14 2023 - 7:28 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Enjoy your trip!! Can’t wait to see how the girls do on their own for a bit :D cheers!
  • Ernteameise likes this

#177 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 24 2023 - 10:39 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

Right.

I am back from my scuba diving trip in Italy, and I am happy to report that all my girls survived their abandonment.

My main Messor colony was pretty happy I was back!

They got right back into foraging for seed and chomping into the insects that I offered them today.

The seed I just scattered around in the outworld, so they had some entertainment with gathering them all up.

These girls look as if they are happy and healthy.

It is great to know that you can leave your ants alone for 10 days without any major catastrophe happening.

2409-Messor2.jpg

Foraging for seed:

2409-Messor-foraging-for-seed.jpg

2409-Messor-3.jpg

• Full_Frontal_Yeti and 100lols like this

#178 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted September 28 2023 - 8:36 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

i love this colony's majors and their red heads.

• Ernteameise likes this

#179 Offline Ernteameise - Posted September 30 2023 - 8:30 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • LocationGermany

The girls enjoying their dinner-

fruit jelly, crickets and a piece of chicken liver.

Chicken liver still is something they enjoy, even if crickets are offered simultaneously.

3009-Messor.jpg

• Serafine, ANTdrew, Full_Frontal_Yeti and 1 other like this

#180 Offline 100lols - Posted September 30 2023 - 10:06 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I just love this beautiful species. You’re doing them so much justice!

My young Veromessor andrei colony has been on a fruit fly binge and I really have to order some chicken hearts for all my colonies to try.
  • Ernteameise likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users