• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Messor barbarus colony

250 replies to this topic

#121 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 25 2023 - 10:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Majorly awesome!
  • Ernteameise likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#122 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 25 2023 - 12:09 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

LOL nice majors.

I always think it'll be funny if two of them try to walk through a narrow area and clog it up with their big o' heads.

Not going to lie, once my carpenters have majors, gonna test out the bite strength of one. Have been bitten by stuff like giant centipedes, so first gonna see what a large major is capable of.

• Ernteameise likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#123 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 25 2023 - 12:42 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

LOL nice majors.

I always think it'll be funny if two of them try to walk through a narrow area and clog it up with their big o' heads.

Not going to lie, once my carpenters have majors, gonna test out the bite strength of one. Have been bitten by stuff like giant centipedes, so first gonna see what a large major is capable of.

Hope you do not get disappointed.

I have taken my Messor majors on my hand, ready to endure a powerful bite, and all they want to do is run away. Try as I might, they just do not want to bite (i did however never try to squeeze them or similar, just let them climb onto my finger, no risk injuring them). I think the people keeping bullet ants and the like would rate Messor as "extremely boring".

I like your giant scolopendra by the way. I worked in the New Zealand bush for my PhD and we were always warned about the giant scolopendra living in the bush up North and that they can deliver a bite that can have you end up in hospital. I have a lot of respect for them, but they sure are pretty.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

#124 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 28 2023 - 9:37 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

Today I finally heard back from Mack from Tarheel Ants (he is EXTREMELY busy) and we pretty much finalized the idea on how to create the custom nest for my Messor colony.

So the new, bigger custom nest can fit next to my AntCube.

I am actually pretty curious and excited to get this going and will share any preview pictures should I get any.

• ANTdrew and BleepingBleepers like this

#125 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 28 2023 - 10:55 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

One of the fresh young new majors  has left the nest for the first time and is exploring the surroundings. They sure are pretty. :yes:

The colour will darken the older she gets, until it is a deep and dark red.

2807-Messor-Major.jpg

• Serafine, ANTdrew and BleepingBleepers like this

#126 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted July 28 2023 - 3:09 PM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York

One of the fresh young new majors has left the nest for the first time and is exploring the surroundings. They sure are pretty. :yes:
The colour will darken the older she gets, until it is a deep and dark red.

2807-Messor-Major.jpg

pretty indeed.
  • Ernteameise likes this

#127 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 29 2023 - 12:43 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

The majors in action, helping out to transport a cricket into the nest

2807-Messor-cricket.jpg

#128 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 29 2023 - 1:52 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

Having transported the cricket to the nest, pieces are further broken down and fed to the hungry larvae

2907-Messor-butchery.jpg

2907-Messor-feeding-larvae.jpg

Look at that new massive egg parcel that has just been delivered to the hatchery!

2907-Messor-hatchery.jpg

Still a lot of (HUGE!) puppae and larvae

2907-Messor-nest.jpg

The queen and some of her majors, look at these massive heads that make the queen look small!

2907-Messor-queen.jpg

I love these girls.

Is this weird?

Is it weird to love these creepy crawlies?

One downside of getting a new larger Nucleus Type III custom nest from THA will be that I won't be able to observe them this closely anymore.

But I guess that is the downside for any larger, growing ant colony.

I just have to accommodate their growth.

Edited by Ernteameise, July 29 2023 - 1:54 AM.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

#129 Offline Locness - Posted July 29 2023 - 9:29 AM

Locness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Impressive majors, very nice contrasting colors. Looks like there will be more on the way.
  • Ernteameise likes this

#130 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 29 2023 - 9:45 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I love these girls.

Is this weird?

One downside of getting a new larger Nucleus Type III custom nest from THA will be that I won't be able to observe them this closely anymore.

I kinda wish the giant majors keep their light brown colored heads, it makes for a more interesting contrast. Least that's me. I like separations in colors and patterns.

Anyhow, that's why for my final (or formicarium final goal sights) I plan to DIY because I like THAT kinda view, the top looking down kinda view. I've seen experienced keepers keep that kinda formicarium design style even when their colonies hit the thousands or tens of thousands.

At first, for my mini hearth I was planning to get would be for the carpenters but I've since switched my sights to the top down design. As soon as the carpenters outgrow the XL, I'm moving them into Top Down formicariums from there onward. They don't need to hang on the ceiling like honeypots. For me, the top down view (whether it's placed flat on a desk or mounted on a wall) is by far the most ideal way to observe and document ants because there's not too much depth to contend with, the light can easily reach most of it so it's more visible.

Anyhow, if you like this view so much, I say stick with it? Is the point I'm trying to say.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, July 29 2023 - 9:59 AM.

• Ernteameise likes this

#131 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 30 2023 - 4:24 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

I love these girls.

Is this weird?

Anyhow, if you like this view so much, I say stick with it? Is the point I'm trying to say.

Well, I would like to keep this colony on the shelf I created for them, and a large open top-down nest would not fit next to the AntCube.

So for this colony, things will change.

However.

Of course I will NOT throw this acrylic nest out!

No, I will change the broken humidifier (I have spares, it is made of plaster) and then my Rescue Colony will move into this Acrylic nest. So I will not miss out on top-down views!

And the rescue colony is also a Messor species- I am not sure yet, which (they have no majors yet) but possibly it is also Messor barbarus.

And as you can see with this larger colony, Messor like this acrylic nest, so the Rescue Colony will fit right in!

#132 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 30 2023 - 4:28 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

I have the impression that the Messors take the arranged rocks in the out-world as "part of the nest".

These 3 arranged rocks are used as temporary seed stashes and it is also where some of the majors like to hang out.

They just sit in between these rocks.

3007-Messor-outside-camp.jpg

3007-Messor-outside-camp2.jpg

• Full_Frontal_Yeti and BleepingBleepers like this

#133 Offline Ernteameise - Posted July 30 2023 - 11:23 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

Today I gave these girls some large grain.

And now look at this.

The smallest worker of the the whole colony is left to deal with the largest of seed.

Needless to say she is not really making any progress with this.

But full marks for enthusiasm and effort?

3007-Messor-small-ant-big-seed.jpg

• Full_Frontal_Yeti and BleepingBleepers like this

#134 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 30 2023 - 11:45 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

^ LOL that actually reminded me many years ago when I was new on the job and super energetic and enthusiastic.

Supervisor was there watching us. We were given an assignment and I jumped on it and did most of the moving of the supply and whatnot while the big fellas kinda stood back pretending to do other things so they don't have to do it. That's when the supervisor came in and he was like "why the bleep aren't you guys helping him out, look at him doing all of that by himself?!" The look of panic and confusion in their faces. It's amusing to remember, didn't happen often as they're good guys.

I no longer do that kinda stuff though, heavy-ish lifting.

Still admiring your majors, one day I'll get some big headed worker ants too! Can't wait oooooo!!! :D

• Ernteameise likes this

#135 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 2 2023 - 11:52 PM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

Yay!

I just finished my custom order with Mack from Tarheel ants.

We had a few brainstorming emails and have now decided on what we were going to do, exactly.

Mack was very sorry it took so long to come back to me.

He is a great guy to deal with, great communication, creative and experienced.

So we decided on a Nucleus Type III style nest, but one sided and narrower so it fits on my shelf.

Type III material, so that the Messor have a harder time chewing through.

I will have a museum box foraging box on top, minimalist, only with a few rocks. We cannot go fancy, Messor will just wreck the place.

I will also get a custom dark plate for the nest viewing area, since this colony is easily stressed and I want to give them as much privacy as possible and keep stress minimal.

All of this was not as expensive as I thought it would be.

I just hope that my girls will appreciate this and will like their new digs.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some previews.

Edited by Ernteameise, August 2 2023 - 11:53 PM.

• 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this

#136 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 3 2023 - 2:20 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,440 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I can’t wait to see it! My old mega colony of Crematogaster were very happy in a Nucleus III for years.
  • Ernteameise and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#137 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 6 2023 - 6:29 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

Colony update.

Still a lot of brood and new majors with massive heads.

0608-Messor-4.jpg

0608-Messor3.jpg

A view of the "butchery"- here the meat is chopped up into smaller pieces and then fed to the larvae next door.

0608-Messor5.jpg

I am really looking forward to see how they will adapt to the new nest and how they will like it!

I also fed them more seed yesterday, and so they increased the stash between the rocks in the outworld and as usual dumped some of the seed inside the toilet.

I actually think they do this with the toilet because no other place in this enclosure screams louder "This is our seed! Fingers off!"

Definitely a place that is scent marked.

0608-Messor-2.jpg

0608-Messor.jpg

#138 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted August 7 2023 - 1:44 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

glad to see this journal is still active, @Ernteameise!

• Ernteameise likes this

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#139 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted August 7 2023 - 1:47 AM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

and also I am glad to see that the messor colony is doing well!  ;)

• Ernteameise likes this

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#140 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 7 2023 - 8:02 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • LocationGermany

glad to see this journal is still active, @Ernteameise!

Oh, I just ordered an expensive custom nest from TarHeel Ants, so I hope these girls (and this journal) will be around for a while.

• Yourbasicantkeeper likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users