• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Amatty’s Perfect Prociliata (Best NA Formica Parasite)

formica prociliata formica formica parasites parasites parasitic cool ants

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Amatty76 - Posted June 17 2023 - 1:50 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationFort Atkinson, Wisconsin, USA
Formica prociliata queen

Anthony and I found this absolute beauty of a queen when we stopped at a prairie going north to comstock, only about 2 minutes earlier we were talking about how pretty formica prociliata queens are supposedly so we dug into a nest for fun and the queen just came running out. later we also found a queen of a mature colony but Anthony bring responsible put it back. We collected 400+ workers along with the queen of the first colony and she’s currently in a tubs and tubes setup with about 100 workers until I can get formisquariums.

Formica prociliata queen

As you can see her thorax is very hairy on the sides, front, and back which I assume is some sort of defense mechanism as they’re parasites, and about being parasites i’m thinking that their color could have something to do with them being supposed pallidefulva parasites.

Formica prociliata worker

Their workers are weirdly similar to obscuripes but their largest workers get larger and their smallest workers get smaller, there’s not really any specific color for each worker size but generally the smaller workers are darker and the largest workers are mostly red/reddish orange on the head and thorax.

formica prociliata colony

Heres a picture of them in their current setup until I get back from our anting trip, also as far as I know I’m the first person to ever have a colony of formica prociliata.

(credits to Darth for taking macro pictures and Anthony for helping dig them up)

Edited by Amatty76, July 1 2023 - 12:08 PM.

• AnthonyP163, OiledOlives, futurebird and 2 others like this

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted June 17 2023 - 1:53 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
They are beautiful!

#3 Offline futurebird - Posted June 17 2023 - 7:11 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I've never seen an ant with a little fur coat like that. I wonder what those hairs are for?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline Amatty76 - Posted June 22 2023 - 5:49 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

I’ve got all the brood and workers fully moved into their nest now, which is a Formisquarium XL. I began to offer them some protein and sugars and they took both gladly, and actually started swarming their sugar water feeder but that’s normal for formica.

20230622 113019

Queen

20230622 153718

Brood pile excluding the big pile of eggs

Rn image picker Lib temp bd3c89c3 b2df 4eff adbe 38747b87e94f
Smaller and larger worker eating a cricket 

• AnthonyP163, OiledOlives and Ernteameise like this

#5 Offline Amatty76 - Posted July 1 2023 - 12:24 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

The queen has been pumping out eggs and there’s been a few massive workers eclosed, but I still don’t think they have any max size workers as I’ve seen larger in the wild. Also no queen pics this time since I couldn’t get any good pictures of her.

20230628 172416

bunch of brood and what not, there’s a bunch of eggs hidden under the condensation

20230628 172451
20230628 172511

2 of the smaller egg/larvae batches

20230628 105330
polymorphism, i’ve seen a few workers that are at most 3.5mm

• AnthonyP163, AntsCali098 and Ernteameise like this

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted July 1 2023 - 1:24 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Love it!

#7 Offline Amatty76 - Posted July 14 2023 - 4:56 PM

Amatty76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Nothing much to update on but the queen laid a ton of eggs and they’ve become super active in the outworld.

20230713 123755
20230713 180917
20230713 180910

• Ernteameise likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica prociliata, formica, formica parasites, parasites, parasitic, cool ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users