• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Easy DIY mini terracotta OutWorld Humidifier.

diy outworld humidifier

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline MrLunk - Posted July 11 2023 - 1:36 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVelsen, Netherlands

I made some small simple OutWorld humidifiers from mini-terracotta-pots.
I cut down a piece of 'Saugwunder' sponge to a little larger but about the shape of the inside of the tiny pot and then stuffed it in really well until the sponge firmly pushes against the hole at the top hole (bottom of the pot).
The hole makes it very Easy to add water with a syringe or pipet and the weight will keep it down on the bottom of your OutWorld so the ants can't get under it... IF you place it directly on the bottom before adding substrate.
You can make them in any size pot for larger formicariums ofcourse.
The ones I used here are 4cm in height.

Hope you like it ;) and if you make some... add a picture in comments :)

Greetz,
Peter Lunk

20230711_110329.jpg

Capt1212333ure.JPG

1212222apture.JPG

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2023 - 2:15 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Ants will get between the sponge and pot and start nesting in there. It may be a problem when you add more water.
  • MrLunk likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline MrLunk - Posted July 11 2023 - 3:44 AM

MrLunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationVelsen, Netherlands

Ants will get between the sponge and pot and start nesting in there. It may be a problem when you add more water.

Are you sure ?
The sponge is tightly squashed in there.
Or do they munch on the sponge ?

PL.

Edited by MrLunk, July 11 2023 - 3:44 AM.

#4 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted July 11 2023 - 7:15 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

I believe my Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis would probably cover the wet sponge part in dirt, as they do not like exposed water or wet dirt anywhere inside their perceived nest area.
While other ants might dig into instead.

They could potentially climb on top of the pot and dig int the sponge material exposed at the hole. If they like the space they make better they'd move the brood into it
However if you placed a bit of screen mesh in the bottom of the pot first. That could allow the moisture to evaporate out, while keeping the ants out.

• MrLunk likes this

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 11 2023 - 7:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Myrmy’s Law states that ants will always do what you don’t want or expect them to do. One has to always assume the worst, especially given the reputation of this tiny species.
  • antsriondel likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diy, outworld, humidifier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users