• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Out of town and don't have anyone to feed my ants. Will it be okay?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tunneler - Posted July 10 2023 - 10:24 PM

Tunneler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

So I caught a queen ant of some Camponotus genus a couple months back and she's been laying lots of brood. Judging off of the size of numerous pupae I can tell that the first batch of nanitics will be coming in any day now. However, I happen to be going out of town in a couple days for about a month and don't have anyone to feed or care for my ants. I'm planning on switching them out into a new test tube setup(Their current set-up is running dry now) and then just feeding them a bunch, but I'm afraid they might starve. I'm also worried that the nanitics might hatch after I've already left and that they won't have enough food. Will they be okay? Any advice or suggestions? 

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted July 10 2023 - 10:39 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

HA!

Interesting because I brought up the same question somewhere else about this very subject. And for one whole month too.

Edit: Since your very first nanitics are still developing and Carpenter ants are a rather slow developing ant, if you lower the temperature to their minimal comfort level and keep the cotton intact, I think they might be fine until you come back. The queen feeds them for awhile and it takes a little bit until the workers actually pull on the cotton and want to go out to forage for food. You can try to gently pull out the cotton and put a drop of sugar water for her and wait until she slurps it up, feed her until she's full and clean up the leftover. That should help her survive and feed her ants for the month.

The bottom is more for colonies already with workers that are out and about, foraging for food - I'll tell you what I gathered but I'll also wait for more experienced ant keepers to come and have a say about it:

1. Put the test tube into a small enclosure that has breathing holes, but not enough for the ants to escape OR utilize a barrier like FLUON to prevent them from climbing out. If you click on my journal in my signature, that's what I did.

2. Make a test tube with cotton and water (like how you made the founding chamber) specifically for fresh water and put it a tiny bit away from the main nest in case of mold passing around etc. This takes care of water. Make sure EVERYTHING is sanitized to avoid mold.

3. For ur sugar source, I heard someone recommending hard candy or granulate sugar. Not sure what species of ant u got. So this sugar source doesn't seem to go bad like if you leave sugar water in there (which goes bad within days, so don't)

Another option is Formica Nectar that you can find on Amazon, I hear that lasts a long time before going bad, but I'd check with Formica about that. They're the ones that sell those auto water feeders for ants which you want to grab for the nectar. However, some people cautioned me saying some ants pile up stuff onto the auto feeder and cause floodings. But since you only will have a few ants, I don't see the issue. Search term "sunburst ant" on amazon and you'll see it, seller : Byformica, click on the seller's name and look at their storefront and you'll also see their auto feeders.

The above should take care of ur sugar issue

5. For protein, someone told me about beetle or pet protein jelly they also have on Amazon, said it'll last for quite awhile. They said to also feed them a lot of protein before you leave (and after cleaning up the excess), but since ur nanitics aren't out yet...)

That should take care of protein.

6. Lower your temperature down to the lowest comfortable temperature for your ant. This way, their metabolism will be low, they'll eat less, need less water, and growth rate will be slower. Basically, slow down everything so you get the chance to get home.

That also being said, try to search around forums, FB groups and whatnot for possible folks that can babysit your ant for you while you're away. This would be the most ideal, hope you find someone trustworthy.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, July 10 2023 - 11:18 PM.

• Tunneler likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Online bmb1bee - Posted July 10 2023 - 11:46 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Yep, my best bet would be to reach out to a trusted member of the antkeeping community to look after your ants. I, ironically, am on a one-month vacation out of state, but left my ants in the care of a close friend of mine. So if I were you, I'd ask around the forum or perhaps other ant-related websites for a person to babysit your ants.

Also, BleepingBleepers' post basically covers everything you need for the single Camponotus queen. If that's the only colony you have, his setup would definitely last it until you return.

• Tunneler likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 11 2023 - 5:02 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

You could attach a small outworld to the test tube and place a TarHeel Ants Liquid Feeder in it filled with sugar water, this should give them plenty of food.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users