• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi - can anyone mentor my 9yo?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:31 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
There are some guides on formiculture.

Just looked at the antscanada website and the antowers look cool.

Edited by LowQualityAnts, December 15 2022 - 8:32 AM.

#22 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 15 2022 - 11:28 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I strive to make high quality nests at economical prices.

I agree with this.

Edited by antsriondel, December 15 2022 - 11:29 AM.

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 15 2022 - 11:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Please keep the thread on topic.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 15 2022 - 12:53 PM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Deleted. 

Edited by antsriondel, December 16 2022 - 4:36 PM.

#25 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted December 16 2022 - 4:28 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

My 9yo so is *so* into ants and desperately wants to get some. He doesn't want the standard Amazon/walmart ant farm, be wants a *real* farm that he starts from the beginning. I tried to push him off since interests change so quickly at this age, but we are going on close to two years of him wanting this. I have to accept that it's a real interest.

I'm not into ants, but am willing to learn. The problem is that I'm overwhelmed and would love to have someone local-ish (maybe 4 hours or less?) that he can go and see their set up and ask questions of and turn to for help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello and welcome to the forum! I may be a day or two late, but I'm going to make a post anyway, so I hope you see this. I had a strong interest in ants when I was around your son's age too. It's been 3-4 years since that interest started, so it hasn't even been that long. When I started out, due to me being located in Malaysia, which is a tropical country, I was able to find queen ants every night. I housed them in a small container with one tiny hole poked on top of the lid and a piece of damp toilet paper on the bottom for humidity. Though this housing would not be as good as a test tube setup, it certainly works if you're on an extremely low budget. If you want to check out videos on YouTube, I highly recommend the tutorials made by Jordan Dean (formerly Ants Australia). They should be in a playlist somewhere on his channel, hope you can find it. 

• antsriondel likes this
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#26 Offline Serafine - Posted December 17 2022 - 2:46 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

My 9yo so is *so* into ants and desperately wants to get some. He doesn't want the standard Amazon/walmart ant farm, be wants a *real* farm that he starts from the beginning. I tried to push him off since interests change so quickly at this age, but we are going on close to two years of him wanting this. I have to accept that it's a real interest.

I'm not into ants, but am willing to learn. The problem is that I'm overwhelmed and would love to have someone local-ish (maybe 4 hours or less?) that he can go and see their set up and ask questions of and turn to for help.

For the start: YOU DO NOT NEED A FULL NEST TO START.

Test tubes with water tank setup are MUCH better for a starting colony. You don't need to bother with giving them water and humidity (which is a crucial thing for ant brood) will always be fine.
Only give your ants a nest once they have like 100-500 workers (essentially when they don't fit the tube anymore). Putting ants in a big nest too early is one of the most common newbie mistakes.

Here's some videos that might help you.

• ANTdrew likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#27 Offline Serafine - Posted December 17 2022 - 2:50 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Overpriced and dangerous for ants that use formic acid. My Camponotus like the testube portals though

What? No, they aren't. Price is debatable but the hybrids are objectively good nests for most ant species (and that's coming from someone who doesn't like AC at all).

He's not trying to keep Formica rufa wood ants in there.

My Simants nests are basically a better version of the AC hybrids and there's zero issues with my Camponotus.

Edited by Serafine, December 17 2022 - 2:51 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 17 2022 - 3:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, the nest prices are fine, and they can easily be modified to be ideal nests by pouring a layer of hydrostone or similarly absorbent material in the bottom of the chambers. It’s the semi-opaque outworlds that are grossly over-priced.
  • Katla likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#29 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 17 2022 - 5:42 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Yes, the nest prices are fine, and they can easily be modified to be ideal nests by pouring a layer of hydrostone or similarly absorbent material in the bottom of the chambers. It’s the semi-opaque outworlds that are grossly over-priced.

My mistake, the last time i looked at ac was a while ago. Sorry for the misinformation.

#30 Offline NicholasP - Posted December 17 2022 - 8:54 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I create ant nests at my website coldbloodedcreaturae.com. I strive to make high quality nests at economical prices.

Does the website have a tutorial on how to make ant nest?

Not at the moment because then people could just make them on their own. I will make a video though on how to make the wooden nests that Miles Maxcer made on his channel once I recover yet again from sickness, but I'd show how to do it with a hand saw.

Edited by NicholasP, December 17 2022 - 8:56 AM.

#31 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 17 2022 - 9:49 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

I create ant nests at my website coldbloodedcreaturae.com. I strive to make high quality nests at economical prices.

Does the website have a tutorial on how to make ant nest?
Not at the moment because then people could just make them on their own. I will make a video though on how to make the wooden nests that Miles Maxcer made on his channel once I recover yet again from sickness, but I'd show how to do it with a hand saw.
Wow,that would be great!

#32 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted December 24 2022 - 10:21 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

I guess I'm just going to have to start watching videos - I know so little that I don't know what I don't know.

Jordan dean/aus ants made a great tutorial a while back (serafine posted it), I'd recommend it (on YouTube).

Edited by AntsCali098, December 24 2022 - 10:23 PM.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#33 Offline Saltypickles22 - Posted December 27 2022 - 9:37 AM

Saltypickles22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Everyone has been super helpful! Thank you! We will watch the videos together and get started soon. :)
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#34 Offline Saltypickles22 - Posted March 9 2023 - 5:46 PM

Saltypickles22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
For the start: YOU DO NOT NEED A FULL NEST TO START.

Test tubes with water tank setup are MUCH better for a starting colony. You don't need to bother with giving them water and humidity (which is a crucial thing for ant brood) will always be fine.
Only give your ants a nest once they have like 100-500 workers (essentially when they don't fit the tube anymore). Putting ants in a big nest too early is one of the most common newbie [/quote]

This is very helpful. The videos, too. Thank you!

Edited by Saltypickles22, March 9 2023 - 5:47 PM.

#35 Offline antperson24 - Posted March 10 2023 - 5:11 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

Well, I am not in your area, but I can send you the any pictures you need. I would be glad to help out with any questions to the best of my ability. Oh, also forgot to mention, store bought formicaria (ant nests) can be a bit pricy, but I have a fair amount of experience making my own formicaria, so if you would like help making one, I can help.  ;)

Edited by antperson24, March 10 2023 - 5:14 AM.

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users