• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi - can anyone mentor my 9yo?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Saltypickles22 - Posted December 13 2022 - 2:59 PM

Saltypickles22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My 9yo so is *so* into ants and desperately wants to get some. He doesn't want the standard Amazon/walmart ant farm, be wants a *real* farm that he starts from the beginning. I tried to push him off since interests change so quickly at this age, but we are going on close to two years of him wanting this. I have to accept that it's a real interest.

I'm not into ants, but am willing to learn. The problem is that I'm overwhelmed and would love to have someone local-ish (maybe 4 hours or less?) that he can go and see their set up and ask questions of and turn to for help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • Katla likes this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted December 13 2022 - 5:46 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Where are you located? Otherwise there's alot of good you tube channels out there.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline Flu1d - Posted December 13 2022 - 6:25 PM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
Your son cannot use Discord until he is 13, however you can use Discord to find out info for your son if you like. There are several great groups out there and I am sure there are some local to you, as well.

#4 Offline Katla - Posted December 13 2022 - 8:20 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Hello and welcome !

This sounds real nice, i have myself turned my nephew and niece into ant lovers ! first of indeed it would be useful to know approximatively where you are located, not only for sellers themselves but also maybe to better know what species you could acquire if any. As mentioned above you should find some nice help over on discord as well and advice, guidance over on youtube (don't loose yourself though). If anything you should keep in mind the setup you want these ants to live in, easily accessible and visible ? or is your son more of the grab ants put them in a jar with dirt kinda. For the species themselves it will again be good to know what is around you, most of your endemic ants you could catch yourself. Now depending on your location again, you can easily find some easy to keep "exotics" who would maybe be more interesting to watch or just to maintain.. On the species matter, there are thousands of ants out there that are all fascinating and I'm sure you will share the same enthusiast as your son ! you will find tiny to huge ants, ants that will grow in small community's and ants that will thrive to the thousands and more. 

As i have myself brought "my" young ones into the hobby i would be delighted to guide you through the little walk of learning to know our (small ?) friends and this would be a specific and important point are you also fond of keeping ants ? surely we can find a solution where your son should be able to get in going with your help and on the long run keep it by himself but for starters your knowledge will be primordial (nothing to scary, no need to have a degree in biologic engineering) as you will have to stay in and keep watch yourself. The point i d like to say here is as you mentioned the "standard" amazon, Walmart options. I am not from the united states and in my region those wouldn't be available on sale through these supports. I mean to say that for example please, please do not hop into getting a gel formicarium with some dumped in workers its just a waist of resources, energy and time. Sure get a jar fill with dirt catch some ants and look at them having their life in there, as long as you feed, water and release them after a week but that option could start you on your journey to find what you and your son are looking towards keeping.

So yes, where at ? i guess US because the mention of WM but that country is huge and most members here could give you fine tuned advice regarding your locality.

And keep the questions going, have a look at some videos we can suggest if asked.

With regards Katla

image.png

#5 Offline Saltypickles22 - Posted December 13 2022 - 10:12 PM

Saltypickles22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can't believe I forgot my location!! Not my brightest moment!

I'm in Nashville. TN

#6 Offline Katla - Posted December 14 2022 - 5:04 PM

Katla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFrankreich

Have you found anything ? or any questions in minds ?

image.png

#7 Offline rptraut - Posted December 14 2022 - 5:08 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I've learned a lot about ants just by feeding and observing them in our garden.   Your son could do the same while his first queen is raising her colony which can seem to take a long time without much action.  I often just observe my pet ants in their formicaria on the surface at feeding time just like I observe the ones outside.  Could he have a "pet" colony in the garden that he has to be responsible for?  He can learn about the larger colonies outside while his colony grows bigger.

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#8 Offline Saltypickles22 - Posted December 14 2022 - 6:37 PM

Saltypickles22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I guess I'm just going to have to start watching videos - I know so little that I don't know what I don't know.

He seems to think he's ready for a queen - in fact he was trying to find one a few months ago. Luckily for me he was unsuccessful. I just need to understand enough to begin with, I guess, that when he does find a queen I can make sure his habitat and feeding plan is correct. The last thing I want to do is accidentally allow him to mistreat the ants. He'd never do so intentionally, but its unfair to expect him to be on top of everything by himself at the beginning.

Rptraut-how does he watch ants outside? I mean obviously he can watch the on the ground, but that's it, right? Are you suggesting he feed them and watch how they react, or something more involved?

Edited by Saltypickles22, December 15 2022 - 4:44 PM.

#9 Offline Zeiss - Posted December 14 2022 - 6:39 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

There's also a flight chart on the forum you could look at to see when species native to your area will have their nuptial flights for when you're ready to go catching.  

• Saltypickles22 likes this

#10 Offline rptraut - Posted December 14 2022 - 11:31 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

I'm suggesting that even though he may be waiting for a queen or already have a small colony there is still a lot that can be learned from ants in a garden.  If you put out a small sugar feeder, he will be able to see what ants are in your area, track them to their nests, record their locations, where they forage, make maps and record his observations about the colonies in a journal.  If he has a "pet" colony, or one that he can easily check on, he can see what types of foods they prefer by offering them different things and observing what they bring back to the nest.  If it is the same species as his queen that he hopefully finds, so much the better.  It can be as simple or as involved as you and he want it to be.  You will soon find out if he has a genuine interest.  

You are lucky to have U Tube videos to learn about ant keeping.  You should probably start by watching a video about catching queens and making a test tube setup.  You'll need them when your son finds some queens.  'Ants Vienna' and 'd colony' are two sources that I like.  

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#11 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 15 2022 - 12:54 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Antscanada too

#12 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 15 2022 - 4:24 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia
don't buy antscanada nests tho

#13 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 15 2022 - 6:36 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I would recommend Esthetic Ants and Ant Holleufer. Ender Ants is another good option, but he stopped posting a few months back.

Edited by antsriondel, December 15 2022 - 6:36 AM.

#14 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 15 2022 - 7:51 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

don't buy antscanada nests tho

Why???....

#15 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:04 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Overpriced and dangerous for ants that use formic acid. My Camponotus like the testube portals though

Edited by LowQualityAnts, December 15 2022 - 8:08 AM.

#16 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:07 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
How is it dangerous for ants that use formic acid?

#17 Offline LowQualityAnts - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:09 AM

LowQualityAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
The plastic doesnt absorb formic acid and ants can get it on them. Also You can usually get more for cheaper by buying other brands or diy

Edited by LowQualityAnts, December 15 2022 - 8:10 AM.

#18 Offline NicholasP - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:12 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

I create ant nests at my website coldbloodedcreaturae.com. I strive to make high quality nests at economical prices.

• antsriondel likes this

#19 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:14 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
But they have other nest too that could be useful.

#20 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted December 15 2022 - 8:17 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

I create ant nests at my website coldbloodedcreaturae.com. I strive to make high quality nests at economical prices.

Does the website have a tutorial on how to make ant nest?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users