• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Easiest ant colony to care for?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Offline mamr123 - Posted August 27 2022 - 12:35 PM

mamr123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I would like to keep an ant colony in my classroom.  I kept a Camponotas quercicola colony for 3 years, but I think the classroom environment probably wasn't the best for them so I am looking for a species that is more tolerant of a chaotic environment.

Any suggestions for a very easy to care for ant species that would be able to thrive in a busy classroom?  I live in CA, so something I could get locally?  And, in a dream world, it would be a species that could eat non-live insects (or meat or eggs?) to reduce trips to the pet store.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!

#2 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 27 2022 - 12:58 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationOregon

Tetramorium immigrans. They grow fast, and eat basically anything. Mine eat everything from dandelion seeds, fish food flakes, fruit flies, crickets, grasshoppers, and even chicken! (I also give them byformica sunburst as a main sugar source.)

The only issue I could see is that due to their small size, they are harder to observe in some setups. I recommend something from Tarheelants like a fallen fortress or labyrinth built for tiny/small species. (Link to my colony.)

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus semirufus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole californica, Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel. 

#3 Online futurebird - Posted August 27 2022 - 12:59 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 
These harvester ants have a long history as pets, they are the original "ant farm ants" medium-large in size the kids will be able to see them and they are hearty. Since you can feed them a diet of nothing but seeds (not ideal, but they will be fine) you don't need to farm live insects for them (but they will love getting a frozen roach or cricket weekly for better nutrition) The only downside to these ants may also be an upside... they sting. It hurts as bad as a bee sting, so no joke. However, this will keep kids from messing with them, most young people can comprehend the concept of "don't touch they sting" and this may give the ants the space they need to thrive. Just know you may risk a kid getting stung some day. It won't kill them but there will be tears. (I have had my colony for over a year and never been stung, you really do need to break the rules for this to happen.) Also, you don't need to put these ants in diapause for long, though they are less active in winter.

The other ants I'd recommend are whatever you have out west that is equivalent to Camponotus pennslyvanicus. Someone here will know... possibly Camponotus modoc?
Carpenter ants of this kind are great for classrooms since they are large. They are also harmless, unable to sting, the majors might manage a slightly painful pinch at worst. The downsides are they really need diapause... which isn't great for school since they are most active in mid summer (but this will be true to a degree for all ants) Another issue is the colony will grow very slowly at first and not till their 2nd year will it get big and active. Though, there is a lot to learn drawing and observing the early colony. 

Just my two cents based on the ants I know!

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2022 - 2:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m also a teacher, so I’ve given this some thought. In my district, stinging insects aren’t permitted, so that would rule out Pogonomyrmex, maybe Tetramorium, too. In California, I’d recommend Novomessor since their pretty tough and can mostly eat seeds and dead insects.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 2:17 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I’m also a teacher, so I’ve given this some thought. In my district, stinging insects aren’t permitted, so that would rule out Pogonomyrmex, maybe Tetramorium, too. In California, I’d recommend Novomessor since their pretty tough and can mostly eat seeds and dead insects.

Yeah but Novomessor are so pricey and rare here in CA that you have to pay a small fortune for a colony. Their one of the rarest desert ants in CA. Tetramorium are probably the best choice if you don’t want to wait 2-4 years to have a large display colony and if you don’t have $50-$100 to spend on the ants themselves.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 27 2022 - 2:50 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
How about Veromessor then?
  • lazyant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 3:02 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

While those are common in the Mojave they fly at a time of year that nothing else flies at so they aren’t collected lot. Because the people that travel to the Mojave may have to drive 4-6 hours so if their going to spend that much time and money it’s more worth it to wait until Myrmecocystus, Pogonomyrmex, Novomessor, Acromyrmex, and Pheidole are flying together then go after some random veromessor. That’s why they aren’t collected much.  
But other then that they would be great.

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#8 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 27 2022 - 3:41 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

And, in a dream world, it would be a species that could eat non-live insects

The vast majority of ants are fine, or even better, with pre-killed insects.

#9 Offline mamr123 - Posted August 27 2022 - 3:57 PM

mamr123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hmm, this is super helpful.  Yes, the Tetramorium immigrans might be a little small for the kids to really get a good look at them, but they do seem like the easiest option.

I'm not sure what the rules are on stinging insects, but I imagine if I ask, the answer would be no, so that would rule out Pogonomyrmex occidentalis (although they would be perfect otherwise, so I might ask anyway).

Camponotus modoc seem like they might be sensitive to being startled (which is unavoidable in the classroom).

So maybe Novomessor, if I can find someone selling them?  I wouldn't mind spending a small fortune, if there's a good chance they will thrive for a number of years!  

Thank you for the good advice-- if there are other suggestions, I am still open! 

#10 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 4:01 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I would NOT recommend any Camponotus if they are going to be vibrated a lot. 

#11 Offline mamr123 - Posted August 27 2022 - 4:12 PM

mamr123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

How about Pogonomyrmex occidentalis?  Tarheel ants says they are an easy species?

#12 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 27 2022 - 4:13 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

If you're looking to avoid stinging ants, all three of those do sting. I haven't experienced a Novomessor or Pogonomyrmex sting before, but Tetramorium stings aren't bad. And while Pogonomyrmex stings aren't fun, they're very clumsy and large and can't climb so it's very hard for them to escape, so it's hard to get stung short of sticking your hand directly into the setup.

#13 Offline mamr123 - Posted August 27 2022 - 4:17 PM

mamr123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Ah, thanks for the heads up.  Yes, it seems like it would be pretty easy to keep them secure, even in a busy classroom.

#14 Offline FinWins - Posted August 27 2022 - 4:33 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

I’ve been stung by a pogonomyrmex a WOW does it hurt I had finger on ice for 6 hours before I could take it out. While they may walk clumsily they can real move their gaster to get you. It kind of feels like your holding (what ever body part got stung) above an lighter except it’s on the inside. 

Also I have lots of S. xyloni around my house and their sting feel like a sharp tingling for about 15 minutes.

Oh and what about Solenopsis xyloni for a good classroom species, they are so prolific and hardy and their stings don’t hurt nearly as bad as a real fire ant sting that they might be a good choice

#15 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted August 27 2022 - 5:17 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Pogonomyrmex are really sensitive to stuff though, they freak out a lot. 

• smares likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#16 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:24 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Maybe lios?

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#17 Offline OiledOlives - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:26 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Maybe lios?

Absolutely not, lol.

#18 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:41 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
I can see the cons to that lol

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#19 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:49 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Pogonomyrmex are really sensitive to stuff though, they freak out a lot. 

Yeah but it doesn't seem to negatively impact them that much. My Pogonomyrmex occi get panicked constantly, basically whenever I do anything near them at all they start rushing into the outworld and evacuating some brood into the tubing, but they're still doing fine and growing well.

• futurebird likes this

#20 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 27 2022 - 7:13 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

How about Formica? Those are pretty energetic, medium-sized, and don't sting (although they do spray formic acid). I'm not sure how easy/difficult to raise though, or how sensitive to light and vibrations they are.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users