• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Easiest ant colony to care for?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 27 2022 - 7:31 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I keep to my word of Acromyrmex versicolor. They have yet to give me a true challenge but the down sides are that they are kinda boring to watch after a while. I’d prefer Atta but you know, you get what you get and then you pray to the sun god Ra to please make Atta permits accessible.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#22 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 27 2022 - 8:07 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I keep to my word of Acromyrmex versicolor. They have yet to give me a true challenge but the down sides are that they are kinda boring to watch after a while. I’d prefer Atta but you know, you get what you get and then you pray to the sun god Ra to please make Atta permits accessible.

I was thinking Acromyrmex too, but I don't really think they'd be that easy to keep. mamr123 was talking about beginner colonies. Although if you have the resources and proper setup for Acromyrmex, then I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to raise them.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 28 2022 - 2:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Novomessor for sale: https://www.formicul...ia/#entry217550
  • CheetoLord02 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline Serafine - Posted August 28 2022 - 4:05 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If it's a colony for a classroom abundant urban ants are most likely your best bet (ants like Lasius niger, Tetramorium immgrans, Nylanderia fulva, etc.).

They're usually very durable, not too picky with nesting conditions and food, can get used to a good amount of disturbance and have the ability to bounce back from big losses.

• ANTdrew and TacticalHandleGaming like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 28 2022 - 4:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nylanderia is a great suggestion. They’re small, but super easy and active.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 28 2022 - 7:17 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

I was thinking Acromyrmex too, but I don't really think they'd be that easy to keep. mamr123 was talking about beginner colonies. Although if you have the resources and proper setup for Acromyrmex, then I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to raise them.

Attines are pretty easy to keep honestly. As long as you have an appropriate setup, just offer plant material, and don't let them flood or dry out. Acromyrmex don't grow as huge and hard to manage as Atta can, and even so both can be limited by just feeding them less.

#27 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 28 2022 - 11:03 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I’m about to wow all of you people with a colony I’m picking up. I won’t give any spoilers to my next Acromyrmex journal update but this colony has been living and thriving in a setup that probably none of you would even think of. It will be a privilege to keep this colony and I’m excited to aid my word of showing how Acromyrmex can be extremely adaptive and easy to care for ants. Expect an update at around 8pm tonight. Sorry for hijacking this post.

Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#28 Offline CheetoLord02 - Posted August 28 2022 - 12:40 PM

CheetoLord02

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

NOVOMESSOR. Novomessor Novomessor Novomessor.

I've said this before, and honestly I'd like to make a more in-depth topic about it, but in my personal opinion I think Novomessor are the best suited ants for captivity. They do not have a single trait that could be considered a negative in captivity. I'll touch on some really quick, especially focusing on positives for a classroom environment.

- Large. Novomessor are quite large, with mature workers being well over 1cm. This makes them easy and fun to watch and observe.

- Behaviorally interesting. These ants have unique and fun behaviors to watch, almost giving the colony a "personality"

- Extremely generalistic. If it's edible, these ants will probably eat it. From seeds, to meat, to fruit, you name it, they'll probably eat it.

- Fast, but easily controlled growth. You want a giant colony? With some heating and powerfeeding you can easily get over 4000 workers in a year. Want a smaller colony? With controlled feeding you can keep them at only a few hundred workers forever.

- No sting. Their bites aren't even particularly painful.

- No special care. These ants have no special requirements for housing, care routines, etc. Heating is good for them, but not necessary.

I'm probably forgetting even more pros to these ants, but this is just what I'm able to rattle off the top of my head. If you're lucky enough to live in the native range of these guys (or get a permit for them), it's practically a crime not to give them a shot.

• Mettcollsuss, B_rad0806, ANTdrew and 2 others like this

#29 Offline NicholasP - Posted August 28 2022 - 12:55 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

My favorite ant species that I'd recommend for people starting out antkeeping in the Midwest will in almost every case be Camponotus pennsylvanicus. Not the prettiest. But they get HUGE majors compared to any other Camponotus in the Midwest. They also are to my knowledge the largest Carpenter ant species for the Midwest. I do also recommend Cautolasius like Lasius brevicornis and nearciticus once they're past workers because they're such gorgeous ant workers and their behavior is just like Acanthomyops.

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 28 2022 - 3:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I've said this before, and honestly I'd like to make a more in-depth topic about it, but in my personal opinion I think Novomessor are the best suited ants for captivity. They do not have a single trait that could be considered a negative in captivity. I'll touch on some really quick, especially focusing on positives for a classroom environment.

- Large. Novomessor are quite large, with mature workers being well over 1cm. This makes them easy and fun to watch and observe.

- Behaviorally interesting. These ants have unique and fun behaviors to watch, almost giving the colony a "personality"

- Extremely generalistic. If it's edible, these ants will probably eat it. From seeds, to meat, to fruit, you name it, they'll probably eat it.

- Fast, but easily controlled growth. You want a giant colony? With some heating and powerfeeding you can easily get over 4000 workers in a year. Want a smaller colony? With controlled feeding you can keep them at only a few hundred workers forever.

- No special care. These ants have no special requirements for housing, care routines, etc. Heating is good for them, but not necessary.

I'm probably forgetting even more pros to these ants, but this is just what I'm able to rattle off the top of my head. If you're lucky enough to live in the native range of these guys (or get a permit for them), it's practically a crime not to give them a shot.

I rest my case. If I lived out west, I’d be all about these ants.
  • CheetoLord02 likes this

#31 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 28 2022 - 6:38 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Nylanderia is a great suggestion. They’re small, but super easy and active.

I'd make to same argument for bracymrymex.

Edited by AntsCali098, August 28 2022 - 6:39 PM.

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#32 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 28 2022 - 7:02 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Sounds like they should've deregulated Novomessor for ant farms instead of Pogonomyrmex occiddentalis lmao  :lol:

• CheetoLord02 and mamr123 like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#33 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 28 2022 - 7:04 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I mean, that sounds way better than letting 10 year old kids take care of big red ants that rate a 3 on the Schmidt Sting Pain Index.

• CheetoLord02 and mamr123 like this

#34 Offline GrandAntKing - Posted August 28 2022 - 7:48 PM

GrandAntKing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWashington State
An ideal setup for the classroom is to put the formicarium you are going to keep the ants in, in a small fish tank to be use for an outworld. It will give them a good view of any feeding and ant activity.
 At worse you will have the kids just poking the glass of the fish tank. (I have a younger niece who loves to poke the glass on the terrarium and the C. modoc just ignore it.)
The kids would be unable to move the tank around. You could put also put a lid on there to keep them from putting their hands in there.

Edited by GrandAntKing, August 28 2022 - 8:40 PM.

#35 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2022 - 8:18 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah but Novomessor are so pricey and rare here in CA that you have to pay a small fortune for a colony. Their one of the rarest desert ants in CA.

Novomessor are not rare at all in the Mojave desert. What's rare are queens or colonies for sale because the queens are so hard to find. At least they have been very hard to find for the last few years.

I found about seven of them this season, and might have new colonies for sale very soon.

• ANTdrew and FinWins like this

#36 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2022 - 8:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

While those are common in the Mojave they fly at a time of year that nothing else flies at so they aren’t collected lot.

I'm not sure what makes you think these aren't collected a lot. I would say it is the exact opposite. They're simple to find. I have a colony of over 50 workers for sale right now.

• B_rad0806, ANTdrew and FinWins like this

#37 Offline Kristijan - Posted September 2 2022 - 3:29 AM

Kristijan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Zagreb

Formica and Lasius (fully claustral ones) though Formica are sensitive to vibrations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users