• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

FinWins Ant & Equipment Shop

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Offline FinWins - Posted September 12 2022 - 2:10 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Sale extended but it will end at 8:00pm Pacific time tonight! Must message by that time to get sale price!

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#42 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 12 2022 - 5:19 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Might or mite?? Look out!

english teacher alert!!!
I switched to teaching life science now.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#43 Offline FinWins - Posted September 12 2022 - 8:18 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Sale ended 

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#44 Offline FinWins - Posted September 12 2022 - 8:33 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Pheidole californica colony coming soon!!!

#45 Offline Jonathan5608 - Posted September 13 2022 - 3:31 AM

Jonathan5608

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
Id take the enclosure for 60

#46 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 13 2022 - 5:19 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Might or mite?? Look out!

english teacher alert!!!
I switched to teaching life science now.

ohh exciting! how is that going?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#47 Offline ColdBloodedCritters - Posted September 13 2022 - 8:58 AM

ColdBloodedCritters

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Careful how closely your copying Tarheelants as well. You will always have similar designs but copying another persons designs for commercial purposes has always been distasteful in this hobby. Coming up with your own is hard but its part of the challenge. Plus a lot of people like to see unique designs.  I will tell you after supplies, getting a website built, and all that I am thousands of dollars in the hole. I don't make much money off this side of my hobbies but I enjoy it so that's why I do it. If it's of interest on BioScorpion We allow people to sell on our website assuming the designs have been tested, and don't replicate others deigns. This way sellers have a better chance at selling and don't have to create a website or spend money on advertising. You can read more about that HERE

I will tell you right now from what I've been able to find THA was never the first to make nests with water towers or sand molded. There is evidence I've seen from my friends. Just thought I'd put it out there since other people deserve credit for what they started. THA mainly refined those ideas and threw it all into one in a better looking version. Go to this website that archives each website ever made and what updates they do to their website and you'll see in 2010 Mikey Bustos had sand molded nests. AntsCanada Ants Store (archive.org). Personally though, I really love your nests Finwin. They're sleek and not complicated to use. Well done. And I'm sorry if I sort of hijacked this thread to say that. I just hate to see people be fearful of doing nests like those when the fact is that THA was never the first one. No need to fear about that. Do what you love.

Edited by ColdBloodedCritters, September 13 2022 - 9:09 AM.

• Somethinghmm, Ants_Dakota and Locness like this

#48 Offline FinWins - Posted September 13 2022 - 11:42 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Yeah so the real reason I’m not going to make more sand nests to because I’ve come up with a kind of nest that is similar but much easier time wise to make. That’s the same reason why it won’t have water towers instead it will have a classic hydration box.

• ColdBloodedCritters likes this

#49 Offline ColdBloodedCritters - Posted September 13 2022 - 11:56 AM

ColdBloodedCritters

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Yeah so the real reason I’m not going to make more sand nests to because I’ve come up with a kind of nest that is similar but much easier time wise to make. That’s the same reason why it won’t have water towers instead it will have a classic hydration box.

Awesome. I'm a little confused though. What's a hydration box? Never heard of that term before.

Edited by ColdBloodedCritters, September 13 2022 - 12:01 PM.

#50 Offline FinWins - Posted September 13 2022 - 12:08 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Just the part of the nest that has a sponge in it for hydration you’ll see when I release the nests.

#51 Offline FinWins - Posted September 17 2022 - 9:50 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Crematagaster added

#52 Offline FinWins - Posted September 18 2022 - 7:34 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

P. californica sold

#53 Offline FinWins - Posted September 21 2022 - 10:11 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Pogonomyrmex californicus might be coming soon.

#54 Offline FinWins - Posted September 27 2022 - 7:52 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The crematagaster are doing great! And their brood is progressing!

Edited by FinWins, September 27 2022 - 7:52 PM.

• jeffpbalderston likes this

#55 Offline jeffpbalderston - Posted October 7 2022 - 3:31 PM

jeffpbalderston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, California
Ordered Solenopsis xyloni and Crematogaster all arrived in great shape! Thanks a lot....
Antimidation

#56 Offline FinWins - Posted October 10 2022 - 10:41 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Termites and velvety tree ants add! Sale on fire ants!

#57 Offline FinWins - Posted October 25 2022 - 9:46 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Bump

#58 Offline tructrung109 - Posted October 25 2022 - 11:09 AM

tructrung109

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth California

Hey how do I contact you?

#59 Offline tructrung109 - Posted October 25 2022 - 11:10 AM

tructrung109

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth California

Bump

how do I contact you? 

#60 Offline bmb1bee - Posted October 25 2022 - 2:05 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Bump

how do I contact you? 

Send him a PM (Private Message).

• FinWins likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users