• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test tube plugs with nest entrances

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Offline ZTYguy - Posted August 31 2022 - 2:55 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

Getting patents for things in hobbies seems so useless. It’s a hobby, not a competition.

• T.C., Vick09usmc and NicholasP like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#22 Offline T.C. - Posted August 31 2022 - 10:25 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Not to debunk your thread drew but I have to say something about this patent stuff.

So Ironically I was talking to a friend who is a small lawyer a few weeks ago bout Tarheelants and his threats to people copying his water tower and even the use of magnets on formicariums. In a nut shell he said it could get patented, but it would never serve it's purpose. If he tried to take someone to court for using "his idea", there is likely relevant evidence that it wasn't even his idea to begin with. As well a person could argue it's more of an everyday practical use by the hobbyists. He stated had it been patented right away he might have a chance, but at this point it would be like trying to put a patent on a tire. And of course in my opinion it's such a small hobby, it wouldn't pay to patent anything. According to forbesAround 97% of all patents never recoup the cost of filing them. This plug design, tarheelants, and anything I or anyone else in this hobby try to patent would be one of the 97%.  

Getting patents for things in hobbies seems so useless. It’s a hobby, not a competition.

Your not wrong but at the same time I disagree a little. In this hobby that's fair to say but in other hobbies a good idea can make you rich. Almost all people especially in the U.S. care about money. After all, it is what keeps the country in general moving. Money is Life.  I know if I worked on something unique and that had potential, I would want to protect it and receive the reward from doing it.

Edited by T.C., August 31 2022 - 10:38 PM.

• rptraut likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#23 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 31 2022 - 11:12 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's part of the reason it is so hard; you can't patent stuff that basic... unless you're Apple of course... in that case you can patent a rounded square.

#24 Offline T.C. - Posted August 31 2022 - 11:49 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

They couldn't possibly have much left they need to patent. All their "new Iphones" are pretty much just a copy and paste from the previous version. Aside from them removing the headphone jack so you have to buy their apple air pods. 

#25 Offline NicholasP - Posted September 1 2022 - 10:22 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Not to debunk your thread drew but I have to say something about this patent stuff.

So Ironically I was talking to a friend who is a small lawyer a few weeks ago bout Tarheelants and his threats to people copying his water tower and even the use of magnets on formicariums. In a nut shell he said it could get patented, but it would never serve it's purpose. If he tried to take someone to court for using "his idea", there is likely relevant evidence that it wasn't even his idea to begin with. As well a person could argue it's more of an everyday practical use by the hobbyists. He stated had it been patented right away he might have a chance, but at this point it would be like trying to put a patent on a tire. And of course in my opinion it's such a small hobby, it wouldn't pay to patent anything. According to forbesAround 97% of all patents never recoup the cost of filing them. This plug design, tarheelants, and anything I or anyone else in this hobby try to patent would be one of the 97%.  

Your not wrong but at the same time I disagree a little. In this hobby that's fair to say but in other hobbies a good idea can make you rich. Almost all people especially in the U.S. care about money. After all, it is what keeps the country in general moving. Money is Life.  I know if I worked on something unique and that had potential, I would want to protect it and receive the reward from doing it.

Also get this. TarHeelAnts was never really the first to make sand molded nests as I have heard from some people that he threatened people making sand molded nest videos. AntsCanada was the first to do that as of 2011 but then he switched over and I don't think TarHeelAnts was around by 2011.

#26 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 2 2022 - 4:47 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Made a small and large version too.

gallery_2_2240_625154.jpg

• Serafine likes this

#27 Offline Serafine - Posted September 2 2022 - 5:20 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Also get this. TarHeelAnts was never really the first to make sand molded nests as I have heard from some people that he threatened people making sand molded nest videos. AntsCanada was the first to do that as of 2011 but then he switched over and I don't think TarHeelAnts was around by 2011.

Wouldn't be surprised if Antstore did it in like 2001.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2022 - 12:09 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

One of my Myrmecosytus cf. romainei queens customizing her new test tube nest entrance.

gallery_2_2240_18118.jpg

gallery_2_2240_596188.jpg

• T.C. likes this

#29 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2022 - 12:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I tried to watch the video and it just kept jumping to "Youtube Shorts." I did that about three times and gave up.

#30 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2022 - 12:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Isn't that the garbage that Youtube started doing to accommodate morons that don't know how to hold their camera horizontally when shooting video?

The video plays fine in my browser... computer and cell phone.

#31 Offline T.C. - Posted September 8 2022 - 12:40 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Isn't that the garbage that Youtube started doing to accommodate morons that don't know how to hold their camera horizontally when shooting video?

From my understanding YouTube was losing a large portion of viewers to "TikTok" so they created a similar feature. Facebook has a similar feature now too I believe.

#32 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 8 2022 - 12:51 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

From my understanding YouTube was losing a large portion of viewers to "TikTok" so they created a similar feature. Facebook has a similar feature now too I believe.

I long for the days when only smart people used computers.

• T.C. and Ants_Dakota like this

#33 Offline Canadant - Posted September 13 2022 - 2:28 PM

Canadant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada
Those are awesome Drew. I use cotton and cut straws. It's always a small pain but the ants much prefer a smaller opening by far. Then I have to put it down and hope it doesn't roll which then leads to more adjustment. These are too cool. Would love to have some.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this
"You don't get what you want. You get what you deserve".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users