• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do your ants do with empty silk cocoons?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted August 16 2022 - 5:18 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Did you know that weaver ants will use the empty cocoons from silk moths as founding nests? (source)

AgmcDjV.png
Pretty cute! Could be a good nest idea for those who try to keep weavers. Better than trying to keep them in fresh leaves...

Camponotus pennslyvanicus eats the silk cases not long after a new ant emerges. Though I have seen them in the garbage pile from time to time. 
Lasius neoniger? I have no idea what they do with silk cocoons. Despite having filmed the queen laying eggs, and cocoons being spun, I have never managed to catch one of these ants emerging... or seen what happens to the cocoons. Have any of you noticed?

I've also noticed that some ants save used cocoon in a pile in the nest. I was distressed by this, thinking it was a trash pile in the nest, but I've noticed that when they don't have a bug to much on the workers will grab a cocoon and wander around chewing on it. Is this some kind of shelf-stable snack food?

What do your workers do with old silk?

Edited by futurebird, August 16 2022 - 5:23 AM.

• Serafine and bmb1bee like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted August 16 2022 - 7:35 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

My Camponotus us-ca02 use their empty silk cocoons as some kind of bedding for their really small larvae, which I find pretty cute. They shred them into smaller pieces and put the silk pieces right under the larvae. My Hypoponera colony, on the other hand, just leave their empty cocoons lying around and just ignore them.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 16 2022 - 7:45 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
All my ants throw their empty cocoons into the trash pile in the outworld.

#4 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 16 2022 - 8:50 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
My Lasius neoniger colony eats their cocoons halfway and then carries it around like anyother cocoon.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

#5 Offline futurebird - Posted March 10 2024 - 8:15 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I'm "bumping" this old topic because I'm still wondering about this. My Camponotus nicobarensis have filled one of the chambers in their wooden nest with old silk cocoons. In the original post I said that the Camponotus pennslyvanicus ate them...but now I'm not as certain. They also have a pile in the nest of old cocoons. They have a trash pile outside of the nest, so it's not like they don't understand the concept of a trash pile. I feed both colonies really nice food so maybe they don't feel like they need to eat them?

The nicos have a rather huge pile as a bunch of brood just emerged. 

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted March 14 2024 - 11:34 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

I'm "bumping" this old topic because I'm still wondering about this. My Camponotus nicobarensis have filled one of the chambers in their wooden nest with old silk cocoons. In the original post I said that the Camponotus pennslyvanicus ate them...but now I'm not as certain. They also have a pile in the nest of old cocoons. They have a trash pile outside of the nest, so it's not like they don't understand the concept of a trash pile. I feed both colonies really nice food so maybe they don't feel like they need to eat them?

It is possible the ants are simply saving an emergency food surplus, in case other sources become scarce.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#7 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted March 14 2024 - 12:55 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA

I'm "bumping" this old topic because I'm still wondering about this. My Camponotus nicobarensis have filled one of the chambers in their wooden nest with old silk cocoons. In the original post I said that the Camponotus pennslyvanicus ate them...but now I'm not as certain. They also have a pile in the nest of old cocoons. They have a trash pile outside of the nest, so it's not like they don't understand the concept of a trash pile. I feed both colonies really nice food so maybe they don't feel like they need to eat them?

It is possible the ants are simply saving an emergency food surplus, in case other sources become scarce.

No this is not true because ants, especially that of Camponotus do not eat waste which does not contain any kind of protein or carbohydrates. I gave my Camponotus colony some mealworms about 2 weeks ago, and when they finished eating it (yesterday) they threw it outside with only the shell left, and didn't go back to it again to eat anymore of it, so I took it out.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#8 Offline Mushu - Posted March 16 2024 - 6:26 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

I'm "bumping" this old topic because I'm still wondering about this. My Camponotus nicobarensis have filled one of the chambers in their wooden nest with old silk cocoons. In the original post I said that the Camponotus pennslyvanicus ate them...but now I'm not as certain. They also have a pile in the nest of old cocoons. They have a trash pile outside of the nest, so it's not like they don't understand the concept of a trash pile. I feed both colonies really nice food so maybe they don't feel like they need to eat them?

I'm curious myself. My Myrmecocystus placodops mostly and eventually throw out cocoons but they also keep lots of larger sized ones(where they did not chew it up while cutting open to release a worker) with the live cocoon pile for a long time. I think they keep more than they toss at the moment. My buddy say's his Mexicanus tosses them but I'm not sure if he pays attention to empty cocoons in the live cocoon pile.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users