• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is your favorite ant?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline William. T - Posted August 8 2015 - 8:26 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Solenopis Invicta. If you skimp on the protein, they are actually very fun to keep.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#22 Offline Socalfireants - Posted April 11 2016 - 8:46 PM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I've only kept Pogonomyrmex Californicus, Solenopsis xyloni. And crematagaster. I guess the solenopsis is my favourite, being polymorphic. I'm so jealous of all your atta and Acromyrmex colonies!

#23 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 11 2016 - 8:58 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

If I had to pick my favorite genera I would have to say Pheidole, Atta, Solenopsis, Azteca, Myrmecocystus and Cephaloates, but if you were to ask me what my favorite genera to keep in captivity (keep in mind that this is determined by what I common locally. Trust me, I would love to raise Atta or something else, but this is what I have available.) would be, I would probably say Lasius, Monomorium and Pheidole.

Edited by ctantkeeper, April 11 2016 - 9:01 PM.

#24 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 12 2016 - 5:49 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Ive only kept pogo Californicus, Solenopsis xyloni. And crematagaster. I guess the solenopsis is my favourite, being polymorphic. Im so jealous of all your atta and acro colonies!

Hey we have Acromyrmex right here in Southern California.

• Gregory2455 likes this

#25 Offline Vendayn - Posted April 13 2016 - 3:33 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Solenopsis genus overall, especially Solenopsis aurea/amblychila. Solenopsis invicta are fun to keep too, though I like the native Solenopsis more just because they are native.

Pheidole are very fun to keep and I'd rate them as #2 of all my favorite ants, but I like the smaller Pheidole than the larger Pheidole hyatti (and the others similar to them). I noticed the tiny ones are a lot hardier (very easy to keep), and eat a lot more seeds than bigger Pheidole. I have Pheidole megacephala, and they don't even eat seeds. :P But, Pheidole megacephala are fun to keep and it will be fun watching them mate in captivity and expand a lot. Ph. megacephala seem very hardy as well, don't die easily at all...very easy to keep. I'd rate them as easy as Solenopsis invicta, and a bit easier, in that they don't escape nearly as easily.

However, nothing beats Acromyrmex and Atta for me. And luckily, we have Acromyrmex versicolor here which is my favorite Leafcutter (got a colony from Drew). They are the easier Leafcutters to keep. I read Atta and most other Leafcutters are a lot harder to raise. Humidity and temperature is a vastly bigger requirement to Atta, needing very precise temperature/humidity compared to Acromyrmex versicolor. So, I think having Acromyrmex versicolor in California is luckier than having Atta. Plus I like how they look more, though Atta is pretty cool with their massive size differences and how giant the queen is. The other (lesser known) fungus growing ants are really cool too. Plus at least for Acromyrmex versicolor, they are such hard workers. They are always doing something any time I look at them, even though they are a small colony right now. Every single other ant I've had, when their colony is small they don't do anything and are really lazy.

Edited by Vendayn, April 13 2016 - 3:34 PM.

#26 Offline NightsWebs - Posted April 13 2016 - 9:32 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I am very partial to Pogonomyrmex but I have to admit my Novomessor Cockerelli are just unreal.  I have enjoyed them the most since catching them with Drew in Goffs. 

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#27 Offline James C. Trager - Posted April 14 2016 - 5:38 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Years ago I kept two young Camponotus floridanus colonies with very different "personalities" (formicalities?), one very mellow, and the other very vigilant and aggressive. I'd like to try them again, but even more so, I have a dream of seeing a magnificent colony of Camponotus sericeiventris on display in a zoo insectarium or tropical house.
Here are some Alex Wild images of this gorgeous, diurnal, tropical Camponotus: http://www.alexander... sericeiventris

#28 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 14 2016 - 8:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Years ago I kept two young Camponotus floridanus colonies with very different "personalities" (formicalities?), one very mellow, and the other very vigilant and aggressive. I'd like to try them again, but even more so, I have a dream of seeing a magnificent colony of Camponotus sericeiventris on display in a zoo insectarium or tropical house.
Here are some Alex Wild images of this gorgeous, diurnal, tropical Camponotus: http://www.alexander... sericeiventris

Wow those are crazy looking. Weird to see spines on a Camponotus. I really wish there was a zoo somewhere with giant, totally natural displays of all the most unique ants from around the world.

• James C. Trager and LC3 like this

#29 Offline Crystals - Posted April 14 2016 - 9:14 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

My favorite varies day by day.

I have a soft spot for Formica though.

• James C. Trager likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#30 Offline TofuPower - Posted April 14 2016 - 10:00 AM

TofuPower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Solenopis Invicta, but mainly because they are the only kind I've been able to get my hands on.  

I can really appreciate how smart and tough they are.  They thrive despite my numerous short-comings as an ant-keeper.  Their personalities intrigue me the most... like the entire colony has a single personality.

And the Solenopis Invicta personality seems to mostly be along the lines of "I'm going to murder you human!   :mad2:   I'm going to rip you into tiny little- oh, look!   :D  An orange slice!"

Edited by TofuPower, April 14 2016 - 10:01 AM.

#31 Offline antmaniac - Posted April 14 2016 - 6:12 PM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

I actually found a very aggressive red Pheidole queen the other day. Ususally they are shy and less aggressive, without the open jaw and attacking posture that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users