• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica or Lasius ? Does not lay eggs, does not open pupae and constantly tries to escape

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ajoe92 - Posted August 27 2022 - 3:39 AM

Ajoe92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi guys,
I just joined ant keeping this summer. I got a few L.niger and flavus and few days ago I found this other ant queen which I suspect is a formica. Location was Stockholm, close to a small forest surrounding a lake, late afternoon.
However she's only trying to escape, has not layed any eggs but has accepted some honey. I thought it could be a social parasite or enslaving type but she does not accept some pupae I threw in that I found outside last week - she smelled them for 3-4 seconds then resumed the escape plan. I'm going to call her Michele Scoeffield 😅

It would be cool if it's a F.suecica but I do not see any pictures of queens of this species. It could also be a L.meridionalis? Hope someone knows so I will know how to tend to her needs and have a new species in my collection!

Best wishes,
A

Attached Images

• 16615996401494015365819976064367.jpg
  • 16615997254545956238065697198468.jpg
  • 20220827_133146.jpg
  • 20220827_125429.jpg
  • 20220826_114702.jpg
  • 20220826_114705.jpg

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted August 27 2022 - 5:26 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Looking at the size of her head that's a social parasite, probably Lasius fuliginosus or something closely related.

She likely needs host workers as she's unable to open cocoons by herself.

Edited by Serafine, August 27 2022 - 5:28 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Ajoe92 - Posted August 27 2022 - 5:41 AM

Ajoe92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Looking at the size of her head that's a social parasite, probably Lasius fuliginosus or something closely related.
She likely needs host workers as she's unable to open cocoons by herself.

Thank you Serafine! I did read that about Lasius social parasites, not being able to open cocoons.
How long would you say she can survive like this?
Perhaps I should consider raiding a flavus nest and steal some young workers for her...

I have a L.niger queen that is a few days to 1-2 weeks max away from first nanitics and a lot of L.flavus colonies that are probably 3-5 weeks away from nanitics.
I also have tubes with 2-4 flavus queens, perhaps those nests will grow faster.
Would Michele Scoffield face a tougher fate to go against 2+ queens? Do they kill the host?

I also read that as rule of thumb, Lasius queens have the smallest head while Formica queens have heads that are at least as wide as their thorax. Based on this she seems like a Formica.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

#4 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 27 2022 - 6:31 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

A Lasius parasite indeed, but definitely not L. fuliginosus or similar. This one is Lasius (Chthonolasius) / Lasius umbratus-group. If you haven't seen it already, this is a good guide to Lasius parasites: https://www.formicul...cial-parasites/

I also read that as rule of thumb, Lasius queens have the smallest head while Formica queens have heads that are at least as wide as their thorax. Based on this she seems like a Formica.

That rule of thumb works for claustral Lasius species, but not parasitic species, which have a wider head.

• Ajoe92 likes this

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 27 2022 - 9:33 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
You will need to give her callow (newly eclosed) lasius workers, which are characterized by their pale color. Once she has accepted those you can toss in some pupae as unlike the queen the callows are able to open them.

#6 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted August 27 2022 - 10:37 AM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Callows help, but aren't strictly necessary. Though if you use mature workers, you will need to get more as the queen will kill the first few of them at to get their scent.

#7 Offline Ajoe92 - Posted August 29 2022 - 11:04 AM

Ajoe92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I managed to get the queen to accept 4 workers of L. flavus. I couldn't find brood just workers.
She did kill the first 3 but now she is much calmer.
I connected another tube with 6-7 more workers. Hope she will accept them easier.

I will give her brood from my many L. flavus queens as soon as they pupate. I only have laravae now.
I tried giving her and the workers a few eggs and a laravae but it was too soon. They ignore them for now.

Question: can I give her and her flavus workers some L. niger brood instead?
Has anyone managed to get a mixed colony like that? My L. niger queens are a couple of weeks ahead of my flavus colonies.31479771c91d449605f3fc580901de25.jpg

#8 Offline Ajoe92 - Posted August 29 2022 - 11:36 AM

Ajoe92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Update:
I have found wild brood of L. niger. I will attempt the adoption once my queen accepts the new flavus workers.
Wish me luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users