• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strumigenys Colony (Found May 2022) Mini Trap-Jaw Ants

strumigenys diy formicarium springtails

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ants101 - Posted August 7 2022 - 6:47 PM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I have found a Strumigenys colony in a walnut on May 2022 at a park.

I have been reading from others experiences from the formiculture website and it was helpful.

I carefully opened the walnut and used a gentle brush to put them in a DIY nest out of hydrostone.

ED1A9FC2-227F-401D-9DF1-7FED566EF8B9.jpeg

3 months later, I have been slowly figuring out how to feed them and minimizing accidents.

I been feeding them springtails and sugar water in cotton. They seem to be doing good so far.

EA3C9629-3CF1-474F-8A29-84B31B6B1C3F.jpeg

Here is a closer picture of them. I believe there is about 20 queens and they now have alates (5 males and 1 female on Late July and early August). Their nuptial flights might be in the early fall season.

C6B05208-6413-41F4-BFDE-7A9927D6E543.jpeg

They love their springtails and are quite amazing how quickly they catch and sting. Here is a picture of them slowly cornering a springtail. Don’t underestimate their slow and little size.

766916FE-94E2-49D4-9E97-B1F906D18E03.jpeg

I have started a springtail culture farm which contains these backyard silver springtails.

I put coconut fiber as their substrate and give them brewers yeast powder and sugar water in cotton.

Takes them a month or so until they multiple and another month until they grow decent size (3-4mm).

E40F9A8E-93CC-44C6-AFAA-3DAFEB99B3D9.jpeg

Edited by Ants101, August 16 2022 - 3:16 AM.

• MrPurpleB, ANTdrew, Manitobant and 6 others like this

#2 Offline Ants101 - Posted September 27 2022 - 8:53 AM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Since early August, I've noticed that the adult worker ants that usually leave the nest, are fighting and stinging each other outside.

I would usually find 1 dead ant every other day.

As of now, near the end of September, fighting still continues.

Here are a few pictures of different occasions of fighting.

Ant War.jpg

I am aware there are more than 15 + queen ants and are laying plenty of eggs that are maturing into adults.

Maybe this is the cause of their division:

The original old adults (raised from the wild outdoors) vs the new and young adults (raised from captivity).

or 

Too many different adults from too many different queen ants, therefore, division and conflict with one another.

IMG_0808.jpeg

I am going to remove the fighters that are usually outside the nest and are killing. I will keep the "peaceful ants" in the formicarium.

Not sure if this will work but we will see. 

• MrPurpleB, TennesseeAnts and bmb1bee like this

#3 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 27 2022 - 3:25 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

This is amazing. They got funny little head shapes, are their jaws somewhat similar to trapjaws? Probably the closet thing in California to a trapjaw species.

When you started with them, was it from a few queens or did you grab a pre-existing colony?

#4 Offline ReignofRage - Posted September 27 2022 - 4:01 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationCalif.

This is amazing. They got funny little head shapes, are their jaws somewhat similar to trapjaws? Probably the closet thing in California to a trapjaw species.

When you started with them, was it from a few queens or did you grab a pre-existing colony?

The species more similar to trap-jaws would be the long-jawed species known to be in California such as S. louisianae, S. cf rogeri, and S. silvestrii. The other five known species in California have short jaws that don't really resemble the typical trap-jaw ant. 

Edited by ReignofRage, September 27 2022 - 4:04 PM.

• MrPurpleB and TennesseeAnts like this

#5 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 27 2022 - 4:27 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Thanks, for the correction @Reignofrage.

So many names, I get them mixed up haha.

#6 Offline T.C. - Posted September 27 2022 - 7:22 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Are you just using using a clip on macro lens for these images? 

@MrPurpleB     Welcome back.  :)  Long time no see. 

• MrPurpleB likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#7 Offline Ants101 - Posted September 28 2022 - 6:16 AM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Yes. I found it on amazon to attach it to a iphone:

https://www.amazon.c...00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Are you just using using a clip on macro lens for these images? 

@MrPurpleB     Welcome back.  :)  Long time no see. 

#8 Offline Ants101 - Posted September 28 2022 - 6:28 AM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I found the multi-queen colony in a walnut in the wild as is. I had my eye on this walnut for more than a year but I decided not to pick them up yet.

This is because I wasn't successful with another colony that I found in a acorn a few years back.

This time, I wanted to be sure I had everything ready (formicarium designed for their size, springtail culture, and learn from others experience online)

before I decided to look for the walnut again. I was glad that I found the walnut again. 

Edited by Ants101, September 28 2022 - 1:15 PM.

#9 Offline MrPurpleB - Posted September 28 2022 - 3:32 PM

MrPurpleB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I found the multi-queen colony in a walnut in the wild as is. I had my eye on this walnut for more than a year but I decided not to pick them up yet.

This is because I wasn't successful with another colony that I found in a acorn a few years back.

This time, I wanted to be sure I had everything ready (formicarium designed for their size, springtail culture, and learn from others experience online)

before I decided to look for the walnut again. I was glad that I found the walnut again. 

Your research and planning really payed off, hope to see there updates.

@T.C Thanks, I got a bit slow on the updates on the journals then stopped lol. Hope to restart those somehow, still been keeping ants, just go on and off formi sometimes. 

• T.C. likes this

#10 Offline Ants101 - Posted October 21 2022 - 6:55 PM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

As of October 2022, the colony is doing well so far. 

LEFT PICTURE (Adult Hunting for Food)

RIGHT PICTURE (Adults with silver springtails)

Presentation1.jpg

I have removed the adults that were visibly stinging their own kind outside of the nest. I basically aspirated them out (maybe about 10) of the formicarium and transferred them into a tree nut so to be taken outside.

Enough was enough. I could not stand seeing a dead adult every other day.

Now, for the past 3 weeks or so, there has hardly been any deaths since. 

Notice the tiny larvae beneath them.

Presentation2.jpg

• AnthonyP163, MrPurpleB, TennesseeAnts and 1 other like this

#11 Offline Ants101 - Posted November 15 2022 - 8:03 AM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

As of November of 2022, I have moved the colony into a new DIY formicarium.

I moved them carefully with a small and delicate paint brush. They seem to have settled in the nest and are exploring the outworld. 

Left Picture:

Notice how the magnets have rusted badly due to me applying water drops directly onto and around the nest which I won't do for now on. 

Right Picture:

This is the new nest which will be placed in a fridge later in the month to begin hibernation.

Presentation1.jpg

They seem to standout more with their larvae which will help me to see them more clearly.

IMG_1226.JPEG

• TennesseeAnts and Ant-nig321 like this

#12 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 15 2022 - 8:07 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Wow,nice colony.from when to when are you hibernating them?

Sent from my TECNO BD4h using Tapatalk

#13 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 15 2022 - 9:18 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
God this makes me jealous. These are such cool ants.
  • AntsCali098 likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#14 Offline Ants101 - Posted November 15 2022 - 1:26 PM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I am not too familiar with what is recommended but I plan to put them in a fridge around the last week of November (or the first week of December)

and then take them out around late month of March or early month of April. 

Edited by Ants101, November 15 2022 - 1:27 PM.

#15 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 16 2022 - 10:11 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa
Oh hope they pass through hibernation safely

#16 Offline bmb1bee - Posted November 16 2022 - 4:08 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

I am not too familiar with what is recommended but I plan to put them in a fridge around the last week of November (or the first week of December)

I don't think it is required to hibernate them (depending on species and location), but you could if you want. Just be careful of the temps you keep them at.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#17 Offline Ants101 - Posted November 18 2022 - 7:39 PM

Ants101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

I don't think it is required to hibernate them (depending on species and location), but you could if you want. Just be careful of the temps you keep them at.

I will be careful as much as possible. I did find them in a park where there are very cold winters.

The plan is that I will gradually lower the temperature in the fridge maybe 1 degree every week from 64 F to 50F (maybe 48F).

I will also keep an eye on them making sure there is no condensation inside their nest space and make sure there is sugar water available at all times.

Edited by Ants101, November 18 2022 - 7:40 PM.

#18 Offline MrEnfenete - Posted November 18 2022 - 7:47 PM

MrEnfenete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationQuakertown Pennsylvania
Do you mist the out world because I have my Strumigenys pulchella out world humidity as well just so I can farm the springtails in there out world giving them unlimited supply of food.

#19 Offline ZTYguy - Posted November 18 2022 - 11:20 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California

I’m like 90% sure you don’t need to hibernate them. It would likely be fine to just take them off of heat but look into it.

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#20 Offline Ant-nig321 - Posted November 19 2022 - 3:42 AM

Ant-nig321

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Locationwest africa

I’m like 90% sure you don’t need to hibernate them. It would likely be fine to just take them off of heat but look into it.
can hibernation reduce their mortality rate?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strumigenys, diy formicarium, springtails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users