• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Suspection of mold growing in a test tube

testtube mold

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ArsArs - Posted August 2 2022 - 3:26 AM

ArsArs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey ant keepers, i am fairly new to ant keeping and i have encountered a problem. I have caught 2 beautiful Lasius Niger Queens and put them in test tubes which i made from tutorials. They are laying eggs beautifully, but in one of the two tubes the cotton became yellow(after 1 week of ants being in tubes), and i am pretty sure i can see a little bit of mold. (Photos included). Should i move the queen to another test tube ? if yes, how should i do it ?. What do i do to prevent this from happening again ?  Id appreciate any sort of tips or critic. Cheers !

Attached Images

• PXL_20220802_111537436.MP.jpg
  • PXL_20220802_111518153.MP.jpg

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 2 2022 - 4:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The ants can stay in those a little longer. The mold doesn’t look too bad yet. Next time, put way more water, and way less cotton. Good luck!
  • ArsArs likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Dendovy - Posted August 2 2022 - 6:12 AM

Dendovy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Also, these queens have no use for the seeds you have put in. They do not need food until the first workers arrive. Best not to put seeds in the next tube as it will only speed up mold formation.

Good luck with your queens!

• ArsArs likes this

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted August 2 2022 - 11:39 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Not to mention that’s lasius niger, they don’t even eat seeds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: testtube, mold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users