• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

So this seems like an incorrect ID but…

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 20 2022 - 12:09 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida
Greetings!

As you may know, I am currently raising a few Camponotus Floridanus queens. Now, when giving one nectar, I noticed something. It didn’t have V on its thorax like the rest… now, it was a bit smaller, but they were all caught in the same area. Then I noticed it. My colony of Camponotus Floridanus also has a smaller queen without a V. So is this a variant? I thought variants were usually found in certain areas, and why would it be smaller? The ones with the V are a little bit bigger(2-4mm)

Queen without a V on thorax
[attachment=12533:B548D407-66B1-4BA0-ABC8-54BB3B965D4E.jpeg]

Queen with a V on thorax

[attachment=12534:4352DE77-2054-4B3E-A928-34C6B7565ADF.jpeg]

Sorry for non perfect V but its good enough

[attachment=12535:9196DF6F-A8D8-40A4-9C91-9C6117F29ECA.jpeg]
  • FinWins likes this

#2 Offline jayhautz - Posted July 20 2022 - 12:25 PM

jayhautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Greetings!

As you may know, I am currently raising a few Camponotus Floridanus queens. Now, when giving one nectar, I noticed something. It didn’t have V on its thorax like the rest… now, it was a bit smaller, but they were all caught in the same area. Then I noticed it. My colony of Camponotus Floridanus also has a smaller queen without a V. So is this a variant? I thought variants were usually found in certain areas, and why would it be smaller? The ones with the V are a little bit bigger(2-4mm)

Queen without a V on thorax
attachicon.gifB548D407-66B1-4BA0-ABC8-54BB3B965D4E.jpeg

Queen with a V on thorax

attachicon.gif4352DE77-2054-4B3E-A928-34C6B7565ADF.jpeg

Sorry for non perfect V but its good enough

attachicon.gif9196DF6F-A8D8-40A4-9C91-9C6117F29ECA.jpeg

they both look very similar. Not having a V on the thorax could just be a recessive trait amongst the species. I don’t really know anything about the species. Is the V on the thorax a defining characteristic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 20 2022 - 5:02 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Greetings!
Queen without a V on thoraxattachicon.gifB548D407-66B1-4BA0-ABC8-54BB3B965D4E.jpeg
Queen with a V on thoraxattachicon.gif4352DE77-2054-4B3E-A928-34C6B7565ADF.jpeg
Sorry for non perfect V but its good enoughattachicon.gif9196DF6F-A8D8-40A4-9C91-9C6117F29ECA.jpeg

they both look very similar. Not having a V on the thorax could just be a recessive trait amongst the species. I don’t really know anything about the species. Is the V on the thorax a defining characteristic?

As I said, it could be a variant, but to me the V one has a bigger head, and larger head.

#4 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 20 2022 - 8:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I’ve found that the V shaped marking is more prominent on some queens than others, even though they are both the same species.

Edited by Manitobant, July 20 2022 - 8:27 PM.

• FloridaAnts likes this

#5 Offline jayhautz - Posted July 20 2022 - 8:29 PM

jayhautz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I’ve found that the V shaped marking is more prominent on some queens than others, even though they are both the same species.

it would be an interesting experiment to see if the smaller queens have no V and the bigger queens do.

#6 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 21 2022 - 8:53 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

What’s interesting about these Floridanus variants is the “plain” ones are smaller. Also interesting I have two queens of one, and two of the other, and if one has a v, and The other one does, they are almost identical. Same with the non-v variant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users