• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Biting their sister? What is going on here?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted July 15 2022 - 7:58 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

This is the only time I've seen ants do this. I only have one colony so that is their real sister. They just stood their pulling on her for about 4 min. until I disturbed them by making a noise. They also do this with dead insects. The ant isn't dead, she ran away and the matter was forgotten. They aren't hungry or thirsty. 

Two year old colony. About 350 ants. Generally very healthy, lots of plump full gasters and lots of brood and eggs in the nest. 

oQAjJKe.png

Normally they are a cute and snuggly bunch as shown here:

5fde6h1.png

Maybe she was sick or old and smelled "dead" ? But, I've never seen them eat even dead ants, they put the bodies in their trash pile and cover them with sand until I can get a chance to remove them. 

Maybe they just got confused somehow? Why would this happen?

Are these hooligan ants beating up a little old lady????

The ant is unharmed and I have not seen this since I noticed them shortly after feeding them earlier today. Maybe her scent glands are not working correctly and she smells like an outsider. She didn't fight back and they just kinda held here like at by one antennae and one leg for a long time then stopped when all three were distracted. 

Edited by futurebird, July 15 2022 - 8:01 PM.

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 16 2022 - 2:24 AM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

This is the only time I've seen ants do this. I only have one colony so that is their real sister. They just stood their pulling on her for about 4 min. until I disturbed them by making a noise. They also do this with dead insects. The ant isn't dead, she ran away and the matter was forgotten. They aren't hungry or thirsty. 
Two year old colony. About 350 ants. Generally very healthy, lots of plump full gasters and lots of brood and eggs in the nest. oQAjJKe.png
Normally they are a cute and snuggly bunch as shown here:5fde6h1.png
Maybe she was sick or old and smelled "dead" ? But, I've never seen them eat even dead ants, they put the bodies in their trash pile and cover them with sand until I can get a chance to remove them. 
The ant is unharmed and I have not seen this since I noticed them shortly after feeding them earlier today. Maybe her scent glands are not working correctly and she smells like an outsider. She didn't fight back and they just kinda held here like at by one antennae and one leg for a long time then stopped when all three were distracted.

Some parasitic wasps have pheromones to make an ant colony temporarily turn on each other. Usually wears off though… she could have had spent too much time around the cricket… maybe she smelled like a cricket? Idk, but I have only seen this when my Camponotus eat dead ants.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 16 2022 - 11:54 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Also is that nicobarensis? I won’t judge you I’m just curious

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 16 2022 - 4:10 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Two year old colony. About 350 ants. Generally very healthy, lots of plump full gasters and lots of brood and eggs in the nest. 

oQAjJKe.png

Normally they are a cute and snuggly bunch as shown here:

5fde6h1.png

What species is this Camponotus? Knowing may help narrow down what's going on.

Yeah, that is certainly C. nicobarensis in my opinion.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 16 2022 - 5:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Could it be some kind of infection or sickness? Some camponotus species are known to turn against their sisters if they are infected with a fungus or pathogen, in order to keep it from spreading to the rest of the colony.
  • NicholasP likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2022 - 3:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Could it be some kind of infection or sickness? Some camponotus species are known to turn against their sisters if they are infected with a fungus or pathogen, in order to keep it from spreading to the rest of the colony.

This is my guess. I’ve seen C. chromaiodes do this. The attacked workers start acting erratic afterward and then die.
  • FloridaAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline FloridaAnts - Posted July 17 2022 - 4:09 PM

FloridaAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I think he accidentally bought off eBay when he started Antkeeping. I think all new Antkeepers have seen it.
  • smares likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users