• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Red striped alien Ant

identification red stripes alien ant lasius strange

Best Answer Manitobant , July 14 2022 - 7:05 AM

Lasius niger. Really not sure why she is red though, were you feeding her red sugar water or something? Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntiMurial - Posted July 14 2022 - 3:23 AM

AntiMurial

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello, 
two days ago I found an Ant that I thought was some normal Lasius species so I let her sit in a testtube setup. Now that I gave her a closer look and took pictures with my macro lense I don't know what to think anymore. I'm pretty new to this so I don't know if this color pattern is normal but I couldn't find anything similar when I googled it. 
Not only does she have these very red stripes and also kinda red eyes, but even her eggs are a bit red... 

I live in germany and caught her on a pretty hot day (27ºC).
Can someone please tell me what ant that is and if that's normal?

LZmGbNN

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/LZmGbNN

Attached Images

• Ameise 1.jpg
  • Ameise 2.jpg
  • Ameiseneier.jpg

• smares likes this

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 14 2022 - 7:05 AM   Best Answer

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Lasius niger. Really not sure why she is red though, were you feeding her red sugar water or something?
  • AntiMurial likes this

#3 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 14 2022 - 7:19 AM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
If she wasn’t fed any sugar water with red dye then it is probably a parasitic infection. I thought a load of my colonies had it but it was just that my dye was super bright and showed through everything. I figured it was the water because when I didn’t feed any sugar water with dye the cocoons were the typical coloration while when the water was dyed, the cocoons were the bright pinkish color that I’ve grown to love. Anyways, those are the two options. Only time will tell and there is basically nothing you can do if it is the infection. The queen might get workers and live or she might die tomorrow. After reading up on the infection, it doesn’t seem to be quite consistent in lethality.
  • AntiMurial likes this

Ant Keeping Since June 2018
Currently Keeping:
A. versicolor, C. us-ca02, C. yogi, C. Vicinus, C. laevigatus, C. clarithorax, C. maritimus, C. ocreatus, M. mexicanus, M. placodops 01, V. andrei, V. pergandei, N. cockerelli, P. barbata, P. montanus

Hoping to Catch This season:

M. romanei, M. placodops 02, P. imberbiculus, Polyergus sp., F. moki, A. megomatta, Cyphomyrmex sp.,Temnothorax sp.

#4 Offline AntiMurial - Posted July 14 2022 - 9:38 AM

AntiMurial

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Lasius niger. Really not sure why she is red though, were you feeding her red sugar water or something?

If she wasn’t fed any sugar water with red dye then it is probably a parasitic infection. I thought a load of my colonies had it but it was just that my dye was super bright and showed through everything. I figured it was the water because when I didn’t feed any sugar water with dye the cocoons were the typical coloration while when the water was dyed, the cocoons were the bright pinkish color that I’ve grown to love. Anyways, those are the two options. Only time will tell and there is basically nothing you can do if it is the infection. The queen might get workers and live or she might die tomorrow. After reading up on the infection, it doesn’t seem to be quite consistent in lethality.

Thank you for your answer! And no, I didn't fed her at all. Just clean, undyed water in the testtube. That is such a weird infection then... that her brute and eyes get red too :/

Maybe she ate or drank something red before I caught her. I live in a city.

I will just give her some darkness and peace and lets see if she makes it 

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted July 15 2022 - 6:56 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah this is really strange. I’ve never seen anything like it and ants eyes don’t normally change color.

Edited by Manitobant, July 15 2022 - 6:58 AM.

• AntiMurial likes this

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 15 2022 - 6:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Must be from an urban colony that had recently been feeding on some red drink spilled nearby.
  • AntiMurial likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 17 2022 - 8:28 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Gaterade?

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#8 Offline AntsTopia - Posted August 10 2022 - 8:05 AM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua
This is cool. Make a journal so we can see If she has like red Niger workers. Wouldn't that be something.

Keeper of no ants currently. Recently moved out of a state. Don’t worry I’ll me back in no time with hundreds of colonies. I hope.  :*(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: identification, red stripes, alien ant, lasius, strange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users