• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I feel old...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 16 2015 - 10:27 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Didn't realize how fast time has passed. What are some of the things you remember that kids these days probably don't know about or never have to deal with?

• Looking for a payphone to tell you parents you're going to be late. Running around looking for change for the payphone.
  • Blockbuster (what's that?) rewind fees.
  • Dedicated VHS rewinders.
  • 56.6K modem and a 5x CD-R? Daaamn what a sweet setup!
  • Ctrl-Open Apple-Delete
  • Turbo buttons
  • Purple ditto handouts

• AntsTexas likes this

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#2 Offline Wamdar - Posted July 16 2015 - 11:09 AM

Wamdar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

rewind feeeeeeeeeees

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 16 2015 - 11:13 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Kids under 10 having cell phones still blows my mind.
  • BugFinder and Canadian anter like this

#4 Offline dermy - Posted July 16 2015 - 11:34 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I'm an adult and still don't own one. I may not be that old but I do remember a lot of what you are talking about. Blockbuster, Pay-Phones and there is something else too going camping and literally "roughing it" no camper no "techy stuff" just a few things [tent, food and maybe an axe] and your own two hands.

#5 Offline ToeNhi - Posted July 16 2015 - 11:59 AM

ToeNhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationBayArea, CA, USA

I'm guessing I am much older than you Foogoo.

-Before remotes, my father would call me in from another room to change channels of him. Luckily there weren't that many channels pre-cable TV era.

-Before microwaves, we would bake frozen dinners. (There are probably still frozen dinners you have to bake.)

-Only getting 24 or 36 pictures per 35mm camera roll.

-You pinched and zoomed with your feet. (Walking closer or farther way from your subject)

-Buying a whole album just for one song. (If they didn't have a single)

-Timing radio commercials so you can record a song off the radio to make a mix tape for a girl you are interested in.

-ToeNhi

#6 Offline Pulliamj - Posted July 16 2015 - 12:25 PM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
The last one lol.

#7 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 16 2015 - 12:34 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

I actually grew up with one of the TVs with a knob. To turn it on you had to pull out the volume knob. I also figured out if we had bad reception and the bunny ears didn't help, you can carefully turn the channel knob in-between the channels and get your signal.

Also physically: I'd slam hard ollie'ing (skateboarding) an 11-stair, get up, and try it again. Now, twisting my ankle walking off a curb means weeks of limping.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#8 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 17 2015 - 3:18 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

I also remember these times.

- we used a pencil to rewind our cassetes, when they got stuck

- we recorded music from the radio or tv (later we used a cable)

- we drove cars without airbags or air condition and no other little electronic helpers

- my first pc had a turbo button, from 8 to 16 MHz! fast enough to play pacman ;)

- the first mobile phones had the size of a radio with cassete recorder and a call was really expensive!

- my grandfather discussed with his neighbour about the sense of a tractor with more then 50hp and fourwheeldrive :o

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted July 17 2015 - 6:26 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Hey, I saw a payphone last week.  Dying relics, as when they break now, they are removed and destroyed.

Despite being only 26, I still remember that we had a Beta player and several beta tapes before we got VHS.  Other than that, we had an aerial tower capible of picking up 3 channels (one of which was static :D ).

I remember packman quite well, my brother loved the original Doom game when it came out.  We would back up our games and documents on floppy drives.

I still remember my first computer that didn't have a floppy drive.  It really annoyed me because I could no longer download the original Dino Park Tycoon and I had it saved to the floppy disk.  Classic game, it saddens me that they never re-released it with a version compatible with Windows 7 and higher.  That was my favorite game as a kid.

I overheard my grampa discussing the first block heaters for cars.  Before they came out, in winter people would drain the oil from their vehicle every time and put it in a dedicated "oil pot" which they would put on the stove for a couple of hours before they wanted to start their vehicle.  Otherwise the oil was too cold to run properly.

Then again, I also remember him discussing with another old guy the best way to train a horse to a plow harness...

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 17 2015 - 7:27 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I actually grew up with one of the TVs with a knob. To turn it on you had to pull out the volume knob. I also figured out if we had bad reception and the bunny ears didn't help, you can carefully turn the channel knob in-between the channels and get your signal.

Also physically: I'd slam hard ollie'ing (skateboarding) an 11-stair, get up, and try it again. Now, twisting my ankle walking off a curb means weeks of limping.

That's funny. I skated for 8 years.

#11 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 17 2015 - 6:50 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

That's funny. I skated for 8 years.

I think we talked about this before. Skating was my life for a good 10 years or so, I can't do that anymore. :(

Also, automatic seat belts. I haven't seen those in cars since the 90's.

#12 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted July 17 2015 - 11:02 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

... That blows my mind too. :lol:

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 18 2015 - 7:07 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

... That blows my mind too. :lol:

Blows my mind because it's unnecessary. I'm getting my future kid one of those ladybug shaped phones with two buttons: one for calling home and one for 911. :D

• Gregory2455 likes this

#14 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 20 2015 - 3:14 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Floppy discs? I remember the 5 1/4" - grrrrrr!

and the times, a "walkman" was cool.....

#15 Offline Foogoo - Posted July 20 2015 - 3:35 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Floppy discs? I remember the 5 1/4" - grrrrrr!

and the times, a "walkman" was cool.....

A:

click click click click click whirrrr click click

A:\>

dir /s /p

click click click whirr click click whirr click click whirr click click

Disk read error

#16 Offline dermy - Posted July 21 2015 - 2:28 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Does it always end with a "Disk Read Error?" :lol:

#17 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted July 23 2015 - 5:04 AM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Does it always end with a "Disk Read Error?" :lol:

No, in the last times, it only said "No disc!"

• dermy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users