• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID Athens, Ga. 7-22-15

Best Answer William. T , July 24 2015 - 2:31 PM

I'm not even worried about it anymore. she is dead. I'm just not going to catch queens with small gasters anymore. 

You are missing out on Pheidole and Tetramorium, then. Both genera lay huge first broods, despite having tiny masters. Don't lose hope. Queens don't  always die ASAP. Just get it IDed with us quickly, and then steal some brood from colonies of the same genus if it is a parasite.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 23 2015 - 9:44 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
I was just responding to this.

wow. I'm so lost. who is right, and who is wrong?

#22 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 23 2015 - 10:04 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

no. its cool. thank you. its just, i have two people telling me one thing, while two more are telling another. meanwhile, I've got a dead queen. frustrating. now I'm starting to second guess everything I've learned here, on this site.

Edited by larynx, July 23 2015 - 10:05 AM.

#23 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 23 2015 - 11:05 AM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

This queen is in the pallidefulva group and I don't think any of them are parasitic.

Edited by Jonathan21700, July 23 2015 - 11:08 AM.

#24 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 23 2015 - 11:26 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

This queen is in the pallidefulva group and I don't think any of them are parasitic.

That being said, I am fairly certain that she is parasitic, just based on her small gaster and larg mandibles.

She looks distinctively parasitic.

so yeah. that answers nothing. lol.

#25 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 24 2015 - 6:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yes, just place her in a test tube and see if she will lay eggs. Drew removes mites with featherweight forceps.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to remove mites with featherweight forceps. The ones I use are extremely fine forceps that you need a microscope to use.

• Jonathan21700 likes this

#26 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted July 24 2015 - 1:45 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Yes, just place her in a test tube and see if she will lay eggs. Drew removes mites with featherweight forceps.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to remove mites with featherweight forceps. The ones I use are extremely fine forceps that you need a microscope to use.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

#27 Offline William. T - Posted July 24 2015 - 2:31 PM   Best Answer

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I'm not even worried about it anymore. she is dead. I'm just not going to catch queens with small gasters anymore. 

You are missing out on Pheidole and Tetramorium, then. Both genera lay huge first broods, despite having tiny masters. Don't lose hope. Queens don't  always die ASAP. Just get it IDed with us quickly, and then steal some brood from colonies of the same genus if it is a parasite.

Edited by William. T, July 24 2015 - 2:36 PM.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#28 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 24 2015 - 2:32 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

You are missing out on Pheidole and Tetramorium, then. Both genera lay huge first broods, despite having tiny gasters.

I tend to find that half of them are trophic eggs to feed the larva though.

• LC3 and ohhhhh like this

#29 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 24 2015 - 2:59 PM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

i won't give up. I'm just gonna wait till I'm more versed in the ant world before i mess with them. 

#30 Offline Ants4fun - Posted July 25 2015 - 7:42 AM

Ants4fun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota
Lol, why do you put answer to posts that weren't even about the original question? You did that on another I'd thread as well. Just curious.
  • Jonathan21700 and LC3 like this

#31 Offline ohhhhh - Posted July 25 2015 - 9:57 AM

ohhhhh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Lol, why do you put answer to posts that weren't even about the original question? You did that on another I'd thread as well. Just curious.

sometimes i put answered for a post at the point where i am done with the subject. sometimes its on the answer i was satisfied with.

in this case it is where i was done reading the debate over the ID. (sorry if that bothered anyone).

i was irritated from the start because a user said " that looks parasitic" and then never said anything else. if you say something like that, there needs to be elaboration to some degree. (like how you came to that conclusion). 

i am new to ants, and i came from many years of reptile breeding and husbandry. when someone sais something is parasitic in that world, its bad. (weather the animal is a parasite or filled with them.) 

on a side note, if none of the people that are answering the post can agree on a conclusion, then i can't really pic the right answer, so i picked the one that was the best for "me".

actually in this case the answer i picked was meant to be williams. it was the one i felt was more positive. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users