• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brachymyrmex patagonicus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 10 2022 - 1:51 PM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

I’ve been reading up on these guys since I caught 5 queens a couple of weeks ago.  Here on the forum someone indicated that they were polygyny but everything I’ve read indicates that they are monogyn.  Example https://core.ac.uk/d...f/147247892.pdf pg 5.    Mississippi Entomological museum also listed them as monogyn.  I do note that most of the sources indicate that there is not much written on the dark rover ant.

Does anyone here have personal experience with multi queen colonies?  If so, we’re they multi queen from founding?  I have the 5 in separate test tubes and am toying with combining them once they are established.

Any specific or generalized info on this species would be appreciated. 

Edited by Tai_pan1, June 10 2022 - 1:52 PM.

#2 Offline ZTYguy - Posted June 10 2022 - 5:17 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
They are poly in my opinion. I have a two queen colony but it is also possible they are secondary Monogyne.
  • KadinB and Tai_pan1 like this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 10 2022 - 6:39 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
The interesting thing with brachymyrmex patagonicus is that they are monogynous in the wild, yet polygynous in captivity. For some reason, the wild colonies never have more than a single queen despite being perfectly capable of true polygyny.
  • ANTdrew, ZTYguy, KadinB and 1 other like this

#4 Offline Tai_pan1 - Posted June 11 2022 - 4:21 AM

Tai_pan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationGoose Creek, South Carolina, USA

Interesting.  I may try combining 3 and leaving the two others as separate colonies.

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 11 2022 - 5:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Interesting. I may try combining 3 and leaving the two others as separate colonies.

Sounds good. Three is kind of the magic number when it comes to polygyny.
  • ZTYguy and Tai_pan1 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#6 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted June 13 2022 - 6:19 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
If this helps I, have a 12 queen colony with 50 or so workers and they are perfectly fine
  • Tai_pan1 likes this

#7 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted June 13 2022 - 8:22 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

I have a 3 queen colony caught in the wild with 3 queens, although they all have wings. They have been growing so I am quite sure they are fertile. I think this colony of about 50 workers is too small to have alates, so may just be a rare occurrence of Brachymyrmex patigonicus polygyny in the wild. I've tried to found 2 queens together before, but one queen has always killed the other in my experience. It is a bit risky to found together with this species.

• Tai_pan1 likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users