• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Larvae not growing, queen not laying eggs.

queen problems colony stagnation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 2 2022 - 6:56 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
My Camponotus novaeboracensis colony has sorta just stagnated recently, their third worker eclosed but was all malformed and was dead. Could it just be stress? They are in a mini hearth and have two workers, I know it’s a bit too much space but when I had to have them in their because I didn’t have anymore test tubes. So far they’ve eaten 2 fruit flies lots of THA supplement sugar water honey and some plain water, what could be going on?

#2 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 2 2022 - 6:57 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
They are also heated, but the larvae won’t develop and queen isn’t laying eggs.

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 2 2022 - 7:10 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
How long has it been since the colony was taken out of hibernation? They could be wanting to go back in again, assuming that all the larvae are the same size and there is no other brood items in the nest.

#4 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 3 2022 - 5:01 AM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
About 3-4 months ago I think

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 3 2022 - 8:38 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
They could indeed be wanting to hibernate then. There is also a chance that protein is the issue, as if the colony has only been fed 2 fruit flies in the entire 3-4 months that you’ve had them out that would certainly explain why they won’t grow.

Also off topic but your colony shouldn’t be this small if the queen was caught last spring. Perhaps you just have a bad queen.

#6 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 3 2022 - 10:16 AM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Last fall she was caught, and I gave them more fruit flies a while ago but they didn’t eat them and let them go moldy.

#7 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 3 2022 - 10:19 AM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I just don’t get why they’d want to hibernate already, I gave her 3 months starting around late fall then brought her out in late February.

#8 Offline OiledOlives - Posted June 3 2022 - 10:47 AM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

My Camponotus novaeboracensis colony has sorta just stagnated recently, their third worker eclosed but was all malformed and was dead. Could it just be stress? They are in a mini hearth and have two workers, I know it’s a bit too much space but when I had to have them in their because I didn’t have anymore test tubes. So far they’ve eaten 2 fruit flies lots of THA supplement sugar water honey and some plain water, what could be going on?

If they've only eaten two fruit flies in 4 months that's a pretty big issue.

• Manitobant and Tai_pan1 like this

#9 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 4 2022 - 2:12 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I have them two more today, either they’ll leave them to mold or hopefully eat them. Maybe soon il give them some sugar water.

#10 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 5 2022 - 5:56 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
*gave

#11 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 6 2022 - 2:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

*gave

There is an edit option on posts if you notice a typo.
  • antsinvirgina likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#12 Offline NotAxo - Posted June 6 2022 - 4:45 PM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

since they are nanitics, you should probable cut a roach in half and let the juicy parts be accesible to the queen and/or nanitics.

then again idk how large fruit flies are, I've never bothered to know about them

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#13 Offline Topgun757 - Posted June 11 2022 - 4:51 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

since they are nanitics, you should probable cut a roach in half and let the juicy parts be accesible to the queen and/or nanitics.

then again idk how large fruit flies are, I've never bothered to know about them

They ate one of the flies partially and didn’t touch the other, and also my parents won’t let me get roaches :(

#14 Offline NotAxo - Posted June 11 2022 - 5:26 PM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

me too, i just pick em' outta the ground

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#15 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 12 2022 - 2:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You know you don’t have to keep the roaches alive, right? Just put the whole container in the freezer as soon as you get it. How about crickets?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#16 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 12 2022 - 3:26 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Crickets are in my opinion the best food for ants. There's not much that can't be eaten so you don't need to clean their outworlds as much, and they come in loads of different sizes. I just buy a bunch every few months and put them in the freezer.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users