• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to get fall flying Camponotus to lay?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline buglover123 - Posted February 22 2022 - 11:08 AM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

I caught a bunch of Camponotus last September, in Northern California-to my surprise they had a second flight of the year. I put them on heat but they did not lay eggs, so I figured they need hibernation. I put half of them in a wine cooler with the rest of my ants and hibernated them for a few months, and left the other half at room temperature. I recently took one half out of hibernation, and neither group has laid eggs yet. I'm still hopeful at least the hibernated group will lay eggs soon enough, but I wanted to ask-does anyone else have experience with fall flying Camponotus? The ones I catch in the spring usually just immediately lay eggs and continue to grow. Thanks!

Edited by buglover123, February 22 2022 - 3:07 PM.

#2 Offline M_Ants - Posted February 22 2022 - 3:34 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Try some protein. 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#3 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 22 2022 - 3:35 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

Give them a single fruit fly. Worked for me in the past. 

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#4 Offline buglover123 - Posted February 22 2022 - 9:04 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Try some protein. 

I did give them some sugar water right after I caught them. But I will try to give them some protein, maybe cricket parts. TacticalHandlegaming has this worked for Camponotus in general or with fall flyers for you?

Thanks both.

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted February 23 2022 - 3:02 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

Try some protein. 

I did give them some sugar water right after I caught them. But I will try to give them some protein, maybe cricket parts. TacticalHandlegaming has this worked for Camponotus in general or with fall flyers for you?

Thanks both.

Just an in general thing. I didn't catch any fall Camponotus last year, but for any Queens that weren't laying it sure helped. I just pre-kill the fruit fly by freezing it.

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2022 - 5:01 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,427 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Fall Camponotus queens are most likely nest rejects that never mated.

• OiledOlives likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline buglover123 - Posted February 23 2022 - 12:19 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Fall Camponotus queens are most likely nest rejects that never mated.

I don't think so. can't be the case here. I found multiple queens from multiple locations, I saw males, and I caught one queen that still had wings-now that one was unmated, and ended up just dying. All the other queens I caught have no wings.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#8 Offline ReignofRage - Posted February 23 2022 - 10:00 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCalif.

The fall flights in NorCal are quite interesting to me, it's comprised of spring and summer flying species. From all the observations I have seen of the flights it's both drones and gynes - though there is both castes present this could very well be eviction flights. I would say it is likely that there are lower fertility rates, but there should be some fertilized queens. With that being said I have observed very early spring flights that there are lower fertility rates even when the queens are dealated. To try to get them to lay you can feed protein, heat to around 85 degrees Fahrenheit, or just let them stay in diapause for a little longer. Let us know eventually what the success rates are like.

• Somethinghmm and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#9 Online antsriondel - Posted February 24 2022 - 6:28 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

The fall flights in NorCal are quite interesting to me, it's comprised of spring and summer flying species. From all the observations I have seen of the flights it's both drones and gynes - though there is both castes present this could very well be eviction flights. I would say it is likely that there are lower fertility rates, but there should be some fertilized queens. With that being said I have observed very early spring flights that there are lower fertility rates even when the queens are dealated. To try to get them to lay you can feed protein, heat to around 85 degrees Fahrenheit, or just let them stay in diapause for a little longer. Let us know eventually what the success rates are like.

yes I agree.

#10 Offline buglover123 - Posted February 24 2022 - 11:58 AM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

You know I guess it was technically still summer, it was the beginning of September when I caught them. And nights were still hot, summer weather lasts into September here. Regardless. I'm going to give them a couple weeks, maybe they'll lay in March-if not I'll give them a fruit fly. At least that's the plan for now. I'll let you guys know what happens!

#11 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 25 2022 - 12:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Have you tried heating them after hibernation? That usually works.

#12 Offline buglover123 - Posted March 5 2022 - 12:39 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Update: All of the ones I have hibernated laid eggs! I plan to heat them soon to speed up the growth of the eggs. The ones I didn't hibernate have not laid eggs, I'm thinking to try a short late hibernation with those to see if I can get them to lay too.

• TacticalHandleGaming and Topgun757 like this

#13 Offline Topgun757 - Posted April 5 2022 - 4:23 PM

Topgun757

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

My Camponotus novaeboracensis (who just got their first nanitic with a second one just about here :D)  queen was found in early September and laid eggs less then a week later, she is missing a leg and part of one antenna but is going very strong, the eggs grew into larvae which I then hibernated as I had already given lots of time to grow, after hibernation one got eaten the other was a naked pupa which got eaten, but finally the queen had her first nanitic. So it can be a little harder sometimes, but generally about the same as spring flying queens. Fall flyers may actually end up bigger and stronger since less of them are typically produced vs spring flyers.

#14 Offline United-Ants - Posted April 8 2022 - 7:13 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
I found a camponotus modoc queen in August in the mountans under a rock they had flon there where tons of males flying around
Sadly the queen died she had a leg injery

#15 Offline buglover123 - Posted May 9 2022 - 12:29 PM

buglover123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSan Francsico

Lo and behold they all have had nanitics. Seven months later! I am amazed at myself. I did it!

upload1.jpg upload2.jpg upload3.jpg

• TacticalHandleGaming, m99 and FloridaAnts like this

#16 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 9 2022 - 12:43 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

Glad to see that it worked! Love seeing colonies grow from just a single queen. 

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users