• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Floridanus mass die offs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ltislander - Posted April 18 2022 - 2:45 PM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

I've been keeping a Floridanus colony since October and they have had 2 mass die offs since then. They seem to hit 30 workers, stop growing for a month or so, and then 60-70% of the colony dies off. They have been kept in 2 different mini hearths, and I am out of ideas of how and why they are dying off. Any advice? 

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted April 18 2022 - 4:26 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
I'm thinking it has something to do with nest space. A 30 worker camponotus colony is WAY too big for a single mini hearth, and they wouldn’t have enough space in the nest to continue growing.

Edited by Manitobant, April 18 2022 - 4:29 PM.

#3 Offline Ltislander - Posted April 18 2022 - 6:21 PM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

I'm thinking it has something to do with nest space. A 30 worker camponotus colony is WAY too big for a single mini hearth, and they wouldn’t have enough space in the nest to continue growing.

That could have been it, although it seemed like they had plenty of space. Next time they recover I'll move them sooner. 

#4 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 18 2022 - 7:45 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
Any sugar sources? Replace every 3 days to be safe is what I have heard. My ants use it much faster, so I don’t need to. If I am going to be honest, I put my 12 worker colony in a medium aus ants nest, and they THRIVED. In just a month they reach 50 workers and a many more cocoons. Maybe they like spare space…

#5 Offline Ltislander - Posted April 19 2022 - 12:19 PM

Ltislander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Any sugar sources? Replace every 3 days to be safe is what I have heard. My ants use it much faster, so I don’t need to. If I am going to be honest, I put my 12 worker colony in a medium aus ants nest, and they THRIVED. In just a month they reach 50 workers and a many more cocoons. Maybe they like spare space…

I provided plenty of sugar for them, so that's not the issue. I guess they like a lot of space, so next time I guess I'll move them into a larger nest.

#6 Offline Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_* - Posted April 19 2022 - 2:10 PM

Guest_SolenopsisKeeper_*
  • Guests
I don’t have multiple colonies, but that’s how my colony went. Also, they are kind of fast growing, they can easily adjust to space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users