• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dwarf white isopods as feeders

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted April 18 2022 - 5:35 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I have a couple huge cultures of dwarf white isopods, and it seems like they'd be a good feeder. Anyone used them before? How do you go about separating them from the soil?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted April 18 2022 - 6:35 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
they're not good feeders and separating them from the soil is impossible. I feed my colonies chicken, fruit flies, crickets and spiders as far as protein.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline ISpeakForTheTrees - Posted April 18 2022 - 9:29 AM

ISpeakForTheTrees

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I could be wrong on this, but as I understand it, isopods are relatively low in nutrients (except calcium) and relatively high in ash, so they wouldn't be great as feeders. However, my understanding of that comes from a reptile keeping perspective, not an ant keeping perspective, so take it with a grain of salt. 

• OiledOlives and UtahAnts like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 18 2022 - 1:04 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Most of my colonies show little to no interest in isopods when I try feeding them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline T.C. - Posted April 18 2022 - 1:17 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
Ants do not eat isopods. They just don't. Most other insects and animals don't either. Like stated they're low in nutrients and have a hard outer shell.
  • ANTdrew likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users