• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jant’s Pheidole Californica

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 19 2022 - 12:52 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

How had I not found this journal until now? Also keep up the great work!!!

• KadinB and JAnt like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#22 Offline JAnt - Posted July 9 2022 - 12:21 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBay Area California
July Update:

This colony has been very active and doing well.

I decided on adding a mini hearth xl as a new nest expansion for them.
fe0a5f41cf1809a0f28cafc0bb018a3a.jpg

Here are some close-up photos of each nest in order:
Mini hearth 1 (Difficult to take a picture of the nest within, enjoy. lol)
b6763d8dd41ede6fda54d325d66fb652.jpg

Mini hearth 2
13de920d780cea18f8b0d9a1f85d09eb.jpg

Mini hearth xl filling up already
33dcef41eb1ae699bec3d00c0f08b2a4.jpg

I was moving a small colony of my Tetramorium Immigrans from a test tube for a new one, and I took the few pupae left and put them in the outworld of my Pheidole colony; after two weeks. I found one of them walking around inside the nest! See if you can find it!
cfc2a9d73f591cbcaff9ebc5903b8a76.png

I washed the mini hearth xl but didn’t let it completely dry…so these little ones probably found a soft spot to dig and made a mound around 2 centimeters in height with an entrance and tunnels on their outworld, which I thought was very cool! I hope the digging is over.
e74a5687c62f746e2d1b579000668188.jpg

Thanks for checking out this journal!
  • smares, ANTdrew, KadinB and 3 others like this

#23 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2022 - 3:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You’re crushing it with the Myrmicines!
  • JAnt and United-Ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#24 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 9 2022 - 3:45 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
Dang! that's one impressive colony. I can only hope my Californica queens have colonies half that size.
  • JAnt likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#25 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2022 - 5:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Lone Tetramorium worker thoughts: “Why am I so much bigger than my sisters? Why do I have this powerful urge to battle other colonies?”
  • JAnt likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#26 Offline JAnt - Posted July 9 2022 - 6:21 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Lone Tetramorium worker thoughts: “Why am I so much bigger than my sisters? Why do I have this powerful urge to battle other colonies?”

The lone elite soldier “Teradorium” lol
  • ANTdrew likes this

#27 Offline JAnt - Posted July 9 2022 - 6:28 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Dang! That's one impressive colony. I can only hope my Californica queens have colonies half that size.

Hopefully, my journal can help you along the wayGood luck!

#28 Offline ZTYguy - Posted July 9 2022 - 8:54 PM

ZTYguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts
  • LocationNorthridge, California
I’ve definitely been taking notes.
  • JAnt likes this
Currently: Considering moving to Australia
Reason: Myrmecia

#29 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 11 2022 - 4:10 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I've just seen this and read this after collecting a wild colony of them. 7 queens and having a die off rn. Is bluegrass seeds ok? Those are the only seeds i have and they seem to like it.

• JAnt likes this

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#30 Offline JAnt - Posted July 16 2022 - 9:21 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

I've just seen this and read this after collecting a wild colony of them. 7 queens and having a die-off rn. Is bluegrass seeds ok? Those are the only seeds i have, and they seem to like it.

My colony also accepts bluegrass seeds, but I mainly give mine chia seeds most of the time; I save bluegrass for Pogonomyrmex.

Die-offs were common for me in their first year, and I also fed them protein once a week, but after increasing their protein by providing them (super worms/Dubia roach/ fruit fly) every other day, it’s not as expected now. (Byformica Sunburst ant nectar is always present)

Moving them to a mini hearth also improved their condition; try not to check as often for now since the colony might also be stressed out from being collected from the wild, and let them settle down and adapt to their new home without as much disturbance just like any other pets. Just feed and refill water.

Congrats on collecting a colony of this species! I hope this helps.
  • KadinB likes this

#31 Offline bullyfan - Posted July 16 2022 - 9:23 PM

bullyfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Any update on the alates? If they havent mated its best to remove them so they aren't a drain on colony resources

#32 Offline JAnt - Posted July 17 2022 - 8:57 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Any update on the alates? If they havent mated its best to remove them so they aren't a drain on colony resources

I still have both male and female alates; removing them would be difficult since they stay inside most of the time. I’ll leave it up to the colony to decide; unless it will cause the colony harm.

#33 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 18 2022 - 2:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It was the same way with my Pheidole bicarinata. Their alates never left the nest, so there was no easy way to remove them without all holy heck breaking loose. The colony ended up culling and eating every last one, though.

#34 Offline NotAxo - Posted July 18 2022 - 4:13 AM

NotAxo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Oh... That escalated quickly

Has raised : Crematogaster cerasi, Camponotus compressus, Solenopsis

Am raising : Camponotus compressus, Diacamma rogosum  :yahoo: Yellow crazy ants  :yahoo: Crematogatser

Maruder ant, Camponotus sericeus

Enjoy anting,

NotAxo

:D 

#35 Offline JAnt - Posted July 19 2022 - 10:19 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

It was the same way with my Pheidole bicarinata. Their alates never left the nest, so there was no easy way to remove them without all holy heck breaking loose. The colony ended up culling and eating every last one, though.

Could there be a chance they could mistakenly cull the original queen with the alates?

Edited by JAnt, July 19 2022 - 10:22 PM.

#36 Offline JAnt - Posted July 19 2022 - 10:28 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Any update on the alates? If they havent mated, its best to remove them, so they aren't a drain on colony resources

There are times the alates will help out with the workers when I give them dubias and fruit flies.

Edited by JAnt, July 19 2022 - 10:29 PM.

#37 Offline JAnt - Posted August 2 2022 - 11:08 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
August update:

This colony is still going strong they recently had some mass escape. They lost about 200-300 workers/majors and a few alates due to the THA plug popping out that simultaneously happened with another species I'm keeping, which I thought was too good to be a coincidence. (I’ve made a more secure blocker now). Lol

Due to the loss, they have increased brood production as they were probably hitting max. However, even though they’ve lost many workers. It felt like they didn’t lose any by looking at these photos.

- All their brood are in MH1, where it's heated.
a5d77c537161cebcfc3adc02420a8eaa.jpg
It isn't easy to take a clear photo, so I wanted to show XL how populated it is instead ...
12590230adefdf0c5de73de17b82aa0c.jpg

I’ve stopped doing them a favor of cutting up their food besides killing it first. It's pretty awesome to see them swarm their meal and fascinatingly observe how they eat a whole Dubia/mealworm.

Pros:
-It saves me a lot of time feeding. I have more time to watch them.

- They are busier and have something else to do besides looking after the brood and hanging around. (more purpose).

- Majors get to do more stuff besides cracking chia seeds.

- It took them 2-3/4 days to entirely consume a fully grown roach/ 2 days for superworm/mealworm. I can feed less often.

- It is easier to clean up since the exoskeleton of the superworm is intact for my forceps to pick up.

Cons:
- There will be hitchhikers, but I don't see it as a problem considering the colony's size.
a13a2520e87b42109ff1da7d444935dc.jpg

As everyone can see, only the cleaned-up head of the roach was left, and the rest was gone🫣, and as for the superworm, only the exoskeleton was there to see.
1cb58fd23de99d7d3d7e7e5cab9ce918.jpg

I’m considering giving them another extension of a mini hearth/XL, but I doubt it won’t be long till they fill that too. I’d appreciate any tips and recommendations!

I’m also considering a bigger outworld attachment; I’m just planning how I’ll do it (No promises).

Once again,
Thanks for checking out my journal!!!
  • KadinB, That_one_ant_guy and Leptomyrmx like this

#38 Offline JAnt - Posted August 23 2022 - 5:50 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Journal Update:

Surprisingly this colony still hasn't culled any of the alates, and both male and female production hasn't ended yet. I decided to give them a THA XL as another extension; it provided them space, but I realized not much.

ad73661955de1eecf41ca32c83e4e003.jpg
3c22f63174c5833d30e036fe2f774c91.jpg
This is what it looks like after a few minutes, then filled it the next day.

Thanks for checking out the journal!
  • ANTdrew, That_one_ant_guy, TacticalHandleGaming and 4 others like this

#39 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 23 2022 - 11:54 AM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

that's a massive colony. Great work!

• JAnt likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#40 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted August 23 2022 - 12:16 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationOregon

Wow! That's some crazy growth. Time for a much larger home. 

• JAnt likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users