• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Jant’s Pheidole Californica

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Offline JAnt - Posted April 3 2022 - 11:52 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBay Area California
Hi everyone,

This will be my first journal here that will be about my 2-Years-old Pheidole Californica Colony!!! (Big-headed Ants)

This colony is from February 2020. It consists of 2 Queens with about 30-50 workers at that time. (I got this from Vern).

During their first year (February 2020 - February 2021), they lived off chia seeds all the time and some cricket once in a while. I would say about 8 times per month (2 days a week). They will have a 10% die-off once every few months. You can tell by the dead bodies all piled up in one spot. Their production was pretty steady and they did just fine in a THA mini hearth.

In their second year (February 2021 - February 2022), I pretty much kept the same schedule, sometimes I give them knocked out fruit flies by putting them in the fridge for a few minutes. I give them a mealworm too. I noticed that this colony likes to swarm their food most of the time. It’s always fun to watch them actively swarm their food during feeding time. They are very chill and never cared if there was lighting put up under the water tower or some kind of light vibrations.

They never really attempted to escape as long as they have a good amount of seeds saved up. You can tell they are hungry once they start climbing up the sidewalls of their outworld. At one point, there was huge germination of the chia seeds in their little mini hearth and it covered the whole water tower!! It only lasted for a week since there was no source of sunlight nutrition for the plants to thrive.

I’ve gone looking for a journal about this specific colony of Pheidole Californica but I haven't found any that lasted for a while, I thought it could contribute to others and help out in some way as a fellow ant-keeper.

One of the main reasons that motivated me to make this journal is because this colony just produced their first alate queen!!! I just saw large pupae bigger than their majors, it was shocking. This colony has almost filled the mini hearth, except for the glass.

Now, I’ve gone and looked over and over on my camera roll to find pictures that I might’ve taken over the past 2 years with this colony, but I only found 1 picture and that was when I first got them.

Thanks for checking out my journal!!!

e81dd06752c6eb91ca45745050bc52f2.png

All recent photos March 2022
2f6c748594b127268c07f0f94208e85e.jpg

This photo shows the walls empty but after 2 weeks have passed, it’s almost filled, they have the piles of eggs by the water tower, but I can’t take a clear photo since that side of the glass is covered by sand.
4e8024f1be31f87fce92ff126ae6344a.jpg
abde0a0830fbda47ac5887200656789c.png

April 4, 2022
First time seeing their first queen alate in the nest!!! Do you see it? ;)
24382a2c1b7afbd6bae49926b2cea8d5.jpg
  • ANTdrew, Arthroverts, Antkeeper01 and 5 others like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 4 2022 - 5:51 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Very nice! I say up your feeding, though.
  • Antkeeper01 and JAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline JAnt - Posted April 4 2022 - 7:37 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Ah yes, I started heating them in January and fed them every other day now.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#4 Offline antsriondel - Posted April 5 2022 - 6:27 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

wow, awesome colony! (y)

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 5 2022 - 7:08 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationOregon

Beautiful colony. Really want a colony of these ladies myself. 

• Antkeeper01, antsriondel and JAnt like this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline JAnt - Posted April 16 2022 - 12:04 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Quick update:

This colony just tripled in size and they’re not slowing down anytime soon with the massive brood they have right now. (Both queens are physogastric)

-So far, this colony has only been producing queen alate, there are about 20+ of them currently. I’m curious when they’ll have male alate production.

7a3c22a03a4bdcda683ba1e110cfee23.jpg
d647d2f6f4e46158371410463957ad9e.jpg

Edited by JAnt, May 6 2022 - 1:26 AM.

• Antkeeper01, eea and 100lols like this

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 16 2022 - 1:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Male ants are not referred to as kings. This is probably because they don’t have a very kingly existence, being bullied by their half sisters in the colony, unceremoniously kicked out of the nest, only to most likely die alone having never mated. Only the luckiest ones get to pass on their genes, then they die.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline JAnt - Posted May 6 2022 - 1:29 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Male ants are not referred to as kings. This is probably because they don’t have a very kingly existence, being bullied by their half sisters in the colony, unceremoniously kicked out of the nest, only to most likely die alone having never mated. Only the luckiest ones get to pass on their genes, then they die.

Thanks for the correction! I figured out how to edit my last post
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#9 Offline JAnt - Posted May 6 2022 - 2:25 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Update:

- New nest extension

- Male alates are now present!

- Both Queen's gasters are almost the size of a minor worker.

- The old nest has piles of brood; pupae are all near the heat source, while the eggs are on top of the water towers with larvae. Most of the larvae are actually stuck up on the walls with one minor worker each by their side like their personal nanny.

-Interesting observations: When I lift the lid, most alates try to get on the highest place possible, mainly on the fake plant, and the walls and their wings are partly open. Once I close the lid, minor workers will start pulling alates by the jaw back to their nests. I thought it was cool to watch.

I also saw an alate without wings; it was distinguishable from the 2-queen due to its unextended gaster.

The new nest photo was taken two weeks ago; it’s now partly filled. These ants like to be tightly close to one another, even back then. It’s more of a hangout spot when they feed on fruit flies.
8c2c9846d342160eb3d9ce43889a8177.jpg

Find the male alate if you can! ;)
5040c0d489d909e988544f40c67dae6b.jpg

Their new outworld. The majors are no “scaredy-ant.”
bc363bcc110bd7b3cd96fb6f0183f59a.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!
  • smares, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 2 others like this

#10 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted May 6 2022 - 9:41 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationOregon

Can Pheidole californica mate inside their own nest? Just wondering. 

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica.

Previously kept species

Looking for

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

#11 Offline JAnt - Posted May 6 2022 - 10:34 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Can Pheidole californica mate inside their own nest? Just wondering.

I’m also curious; maybe someone knowledgeable can answer.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#12 Offline JAnt - Posted June 13 2022 - 9:29 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Update:

This colony has been doing great, the production of alates has slowed down, and most have taken off their wings.

This is what the nest looks like, but it is more crowded since this was taken 2 weeks ago.
67c5f1b1b8ec9c6790edb38e8feb9259.jpg

I am considering moving these guys on a 2-sided THA casita; instead of another mini hearth extension. What do you fellow keepers think?

acaa57e3db84cfe1179cd544219673f4.png

Thank you so much for your attention and participation.
  • smares, Antkeeper01, ZTYguy and 1 other like this

#13 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted June 13 2022 - 10:49 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

Beautiful colony! I think the THA nest might be too big for them, but I'm not sure how big they are. Also, you said most alates have taken off their wings, have they inbreeded?

#14 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 14 2022 - 9:14 AM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationOregon

That Casitia is meant for medium/large speices. There's a higher chance of them escaping since they are so small. 

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

#15 Offline JAnt - Posted June 14 2022 - 11:15 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Beautiful colony! I think the THA nest might be too big for them, but I'm not sure how big they are. Also, you said most alates have taken off their wings, have they inbreeded?

The nest is made for medium-large species, although I view it as six mini hearths nest since the size is almost the same. There are only two original queens; I doubt that's enough for the inside nest mating, but if I get my hands on dealate queens and put them on a separate test tube, we’ll see
  • Antkeeper01 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#16 Offline JAnt - Posted June 14 2022 - 11:18 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

That Casitia is meant for medium/large speices. There's a higher chance of them escaping since they are so small.

They are big enough not to escape in between the glass. Although the lid of the outworld is a possibility, a quick tape should fix it.

#17 Offline lazyant - Posted June 15 2022 - 6:52 AM

lazyant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, CA

How did you get your californica to get to such a large size?

• Antkeeper01, NancyZamora4991, JAnt and 1 other like this

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix." -Comic book guy 

#18 Offline JAnt - Posted June 15 2022 - 8:16 AM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

How did you get your californica to get to such a large size?

Heat + protein

From looking at it, this colony is approximately a thousand plus workers strong, and they still have a tremendous amount of brood.
  • Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming, NancyZamora4991 and 1 other like this

#19 Offline JAnt - Posted June 16 2022 - 8:30 PM

JAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
Here’s the current nest.
4b68d42dcaa6ccba30600fc7522060ac.jpg
e25abf668d3186fb93c11dd587a2f9d6.jpg

Check out all these alates huddled together in one spot!
6106e55ea2ab9842fa86db95084599ec.jpg
dc7069f64b2ebbde3664863b73523934.jpg
  • ANTdrew, Antkeeper01, KadinB and 4 others like this

#20 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted June 19 2022 - 12:15 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  • LocationOregon

:o That's seriously impressive!

• Antkeeper01, KadinB and JAnt like this

Currently kept species

Previously kept species

Looking for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users