• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

TennesseeAnts' Cryptopone gilva Journal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted March 23 2022 - 12:24 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

After three years of searching, I've finally found Cryptopone gilva once more. I collected the colony out of a moderately decayed White Pine log on 3/21/22 after several hours of digging through wood and aspirating workers and larvae out of the many random tunnels these ants inhabit. I came up with roughly a hundred workers, several dozen larvae and a single dealate queen in the end. So far they've been pretty great, living in a petri dish nest and feeding baby mealworms to their many hungry larvae.

Pics coming soon!

• NicholasP and AntBoi3030 like this

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 15 2022 - 7:47 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Update: 4/15/22

This colony has done wonderfully so far. There have been only a few worker deaths so far, and their brood piles have been growing a ton. I checked on the colony last night shortly after I got my new Proceratium colony set up and I saw several dozen new eggs! They've still been living off mealworms and small amounts of honey alone up to this point, and have been super easy to take care of. 

A blurry picture of one of their new egg piles:

20220414_214150.jpg?width=1088&height=61

• NicholasP likes this

#3 Offline United-Ants - Posted April 15 2022 - 8:44 AM

United-Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUtah United States
Beautiful ants
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#4 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 16 2022 - 8:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Beautiful ants

I completely agree! You can expect some new uploads on my channel for both this colony and the Proceratium colony shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users