• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are Pheidole Pallidula polygynous?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline NewbieAntMan - Posted February 14 2022 - 11:36 AM

NewbieAntMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Are Pheidole Pallidula monogynous or polygynous?

#2 Offline Manitobant - Posted February 14 2022 - 2:28 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
To my knowledge, pheidole pallidula is a strictly monogynous species. Hopefully someone from europe could confirm.

Edited by Manitobant, February 14 2022 - 2:29 PM.

#3 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 14 2022 - 5:43 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

I have heard both. I believe it depends on the population.

#4 Offline williamlowry - Posted February 15 2022 - 10:09 AM

williamlowry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I have heard both. I believe it depends on the population.

In at least some populations there is a combination of both. Apparently this is likely the result from queens being "adopted" by a colony (related or not). 

Edited by williamlowry, February 15 2022 - 10:32 AM.

#5 Offline OiledOlives - Posted February 15 2022 - 12:28 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Quick google search reveals that P. pallidula can have more than one reproductive queen. https://pubmed.ncbi....h.gov/14653800/

#6 Offline NikolaBale - Posted February 16 2022 - 5:22 AM

NikolaBale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
From what i know technically yes.
But based on research on this specific topic it is important to note that out of the observed nests a very small percentage was actually polygynous.

And even out out ones that where it was usually just two queens.Most likely a similar form of Polygyny like Campnotus ligniperda known as Oligogyny.Which means that the queens are intolerant to each other and are kept in separate chambers.Though this is just my assumption.

Although pleometrosis is relatively more common so if your are looking to use more queens in a colony that's the best way to go.
After they get the first workers and even beforehand they will probably fight with only one queen surviving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users