• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Strickys Pheidole Vistana

pheidole journal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 10 2022 - 8:03 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests
Hey guys! I was out anting for M.testaceus, flipped a rock and found 3 queens and 5-15 workers of pheidole vistana. Excited to see where they go and hopefully they become a successful colony.
Pictures:e3332479c15bf14e0c06d6e80581378f.jpgc62642b6f342332f5d8ae00977407808.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
  • B_rad0806, Antkeeper01, antsandmore and 1 other like this

#2 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 10 2022 - 8:27 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Nice! Double check if they're vistana though. Pheidole hyatti and Pheidole vistana are very similar and the experts I asked had trouble identifying which species of those 2 species my hyatti were. So basically, the way to be 100% certain they're vistana is through a microscope or something to see the hairs on the ants. And I'm sorry to take this off topic but are Myrmecocystus testaceus actually flying right now?

• antsandmore likes this

#3 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 10 2022 - 8:35 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

Nice! Double check if they're vistana though. Pheidole hyatti and Pheidole vistana are very similar and the experts I asked had trouble identifying which species of those 2 species my hyatti were. So basically, the way to be 100% certain they're vistana is through a microscope or something to see the hairs on the ants. And I'm sorry to take this off topic but are Myrmecocystus testaceus actually flying right now?

Yo! So I'm sure it's vistana, the place I caught em only have vistana, and for me (socal) testsceus fly whenever there is a heatwave but in small bunches. In spring is where they actually "fly".

#4 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 10 2022 - 9:32 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Yo! So I'm sure it's vistana, the place I caught em only have vistana, and for me (socal) testsceus fly whenever there is a heatwave but in small bunches. In spring is where they actually "fly".

Interesting. Well, I wish you good luck with your vistana! Just make sure to constantly give them sugars because like hyatti if I'm not mistaken, they also will have their colony start shrinking if not given a constant sugar source.

#5 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 10 2022 - 9:39 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests
Alright! Thank you! I'll keep that noted. I gave them sugars and it seems they laid a batch of eggs.

#6 Offline antsandmore - Posted February 10 2022 - 9:44 PM

antsandmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

I'm not exactly sure, but in my area, i found a queen in a founding chamber. I only found one, and she doesn't have any larvae yet, so I don't think it was a nuptial flight.

Ants I am keeping:

none for now, planning on being more active this year

#7 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 10 2022 - 10:11 PM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

I'm not exactly sure, but in my area, i found a queen in a founding chamber. I only found one, and she doesn't have any larvae yet, so I don't think it was a nuptial flight.

Well I'm thinking of taking a road trip over there to CA. But I'll stop with taking this wonderful journal offtopic.

#8 Offline Guest_StrickyAnts_* - Posted February 14 2022 - 5:07 PM

Guest_StrickyAnts_*
  • Guests

I recently split this colony up as it was not doing good with 3 queens. it was extremely disorganized.

• Crazycow likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pheidole, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users