• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Alza's Pogonomyrmex Californicus Journal (Non-Bicolor)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Alza - Posted July 9 2015 - 2:22 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I caught about 53 of these queens, and put them in test tubes containing 2-5.

IMG_2590.JPG

They now all have larvae, and some have already begun betraying the other queens.

#2 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 9 2015 - 6:06 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

53 queens!  Wow what a jackpot!!  Where did you find them?

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#3 Offline Alza - Posted July 9 2015 - 6:19 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

In the chatsworth area, they are in plague proportions there.

• BugFinder likes this

#4 Offline BugFinder - Posted July 9 2015 - 6:50 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

What do you think is the chance they will fly again soon? 

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#5 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 9 2015 - 7:20 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Are you going to sell any?

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#6 Offline Alza - Posted July 9 2015 - 7:29 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

There are still queens foraging out there, and I probably will sell some of them.

#7 Offline PTAntFan - Posted July 9 2015 - 8:25 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
I can't get out there before Sunday morning as I'm at comic-con.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#8 Offline Alza - Posted July 9 2015 - 8:40 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Some will probably still be out.

#9 Offline Alza - Posted November 15 2015 - 11:18 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

All of my colonies except one now have four+ workers. I don't know what to do with that one colony, they have three queens.

#10 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted December 6 2015 - 10:58 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

How are these doing?

#11 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 7 2015 - 9:33 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If they are like mine, they are probably semi-hibernating. Mine are still slightly active, but all the colonies here in Irvine don't have any brood at all. Mine mostly stay at the bottom of the formicarium, but I have seen them (and the outside colonies) collecting food. Kind of weird, but maybe they are preparing for Spring lol.

Would be curious if other colonies are still active and laying eggs. Because I've been keeping mine a lot warmer than outside, and while they are sort of doing things and collecting stuff, they aren't laying eggs at all. I know out in the Salton Sea/Palm Springs, Pogonomyrmex californicus are active year round (even with new brood), but mine and the colonies here are semi-hibernating.

#12 Offline Alza - Posted December 7 2015 - 10:46 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

Mine havent really done anything, and they have no eggs, so no progress at all. Unless I forgot to mention the few workers some colonies got before.

#13 Offline Foogoo - Posted December 8 2015 - 8:50 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Mine is the same. I decided to not put the heat lamp on them to let them go through a natural Socal winter.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#14 Offline Subverted - Posted December 10 2015 - 10:52 AM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Would be curious if other colonies are still active and laying eggs. Because I've been keeping mine a lot warmer than outside, and while they are sort of doing things and collecting stuff, they aren't laying eggs at all. I know out in the Salton Sea/Palm Springs, Pogonomyrmex californicus are active year round (even with new brood), but mine and the colonies here are semi-hibernating.

My colony seems to still have brood and they did some major excavations since I posted that last photo of them... Maybe you are keeping them warm but not warm enough?

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#15 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 10 2015 - 5:38 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Hmm, that could

My colony seems to still have brood and they did some major excavations since I posted that last photo of them... Maybe you are keeping them warm but not warm enough?

hmm, that is probably why. In the Spring/Summer, the garage is always 80+ degrees and now with it being colder it drops to 65-70 degrees at night. I don't really have a heat lamp on them, so that probably doesn't help much. It only adds 5 degrees to their setup.

In any case, not sure if I care too much actually. I don't actually mind as much as I thought I would that they are more in a hibernating mode. I used to always hate the idea of one of my ant colonies hibernating, but it isn't actually that bad at all. I still might try giving them more heat though, but I'll let them rest for a bit.

#16 Offline Mdrogun - Posted December 10 2015 - 6:37 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Mine just have large larvae left over. I don't know for sure though as it is hard to see into the nest. About a month ago the queen laid a clutch of about 60 eggs

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users