• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Leptomyrmx's Ant Journal

#iridomyrmex meat ant brachyponera opisthopsis podomyrma crematogaster aphaenogaster pheidole camponotus

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 12 2022 - 1:27 AM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I'm back from my FNQ trip. I wasn't expecting to find anything because it's winter but I found a Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) sp., I think it's Polyrhachis robinsoni. So, basically Polyrhachis australis. Let's hope she does better than my last Cyrtomyrma queen.

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

Key: Q = Queen, W = Worker, M = Major

Youtube Channel: Ants of Sydney - YouTube

Patreon (for YouTube channel): https://www.patreon.com/antsofsydney

#62 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 12 2022 - 8:51 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

New video on my Podomyrma out now:

Muscleman Tree Ants Episode 1 - First on YouTube!

And yeah, I'm the first person to document a captive colony on YouTube.

I fed the Crematogaster and Podomyrma honey which they both liked. I'll be giving them some protein soon.

I also moved the Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni queen into a petri-dish type setup with some substrate they often make their nests out of. It's made up of coco fibre, sand, dried leaves and normal leaves.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, June 12 2022 - 10:12 PM.

• Antkeeper01 and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

Colonies: Camponotus humilior 1w, Opisthopsis rufithorax 11w, Aphaenogaster longiceps ~5w, Pheidole sp. ~235w ~15m, Iridomyrmex sp. 2q 1w, Brachyponera lutea 6w, Crematogaster sp. ~20w, Podomyrma sp. 1w

Queens: Polyrhachis cf. robinsoni, Polyrhachis (Campomyrma) sp. (likely infertile)

Previously Kept: Colobopsis gasseri, Technomyrmex sp., Rhytidoponera victorae, Nylanderia cf. rosae, Myrmecia brevinoda/forficata, Polyrhachis australis, Solenopsis/Monomorium

#63 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 13 2022 - 6:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Need more cowbell/ Crematogaster content.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#64 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 13 2022 - 10:13 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Ok sure, quick Crematogaster update:

I'm trying to move them into an AntKeep Small nest, but... well... they don't want to-

should I... tip them?

I also gave them some honey and they already have some protein in their tube (I can't get it out, it's at the very back of the tube).

And yes, a video is scheduled for next week about them.

My Ants:

#65 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 18 2022 - 3:21 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Ok guys, got some bad news on the Crematogaster unfortunately...

A few workers got out, so I put them in a tubs and tubes setup, but somehow there was a spider in there, which killed one of the workers :(

I'm putting them in a different outworld now.

In good news, I have a new video on them out now: Crematogaster Episode 1 - Kool Kid Antz

(Note: if you're following my journal just for the Crematogaster content, that's completely fine! I just think it's funny how many people followed for them.)

My Ants:

#66 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2022 - 4:25 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, they’re kind of the reason I checked. If they aren’t escaping, then they aren’t Crematogaster.
  • Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#67 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 21 2022 - 11:39 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Crematogaster just gave me a heart attack... I checked on them and they weren't in their test tube... they had moved into the sand. Thank goodness.

My Ants:

#68 Offline ColAnt735 - Posted June 22 2022 - 5:25 AM

ColAnt735

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationOntario,Canada

Crematogaster just gave me a heart attack... I checked on them and they weren't in their test tube... they had moved into the sand. Thank goodness.

Your troubles have only just begun.  ;)

Edited by ColAnt735, June 22 2022 - 5:33 AM.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

"If an ant carries an object a hundred times it's weight,you can carry burdens many times your size.

#69 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 22 2022 - 8:09 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Read my journal through and learn from my mistakes.
  • Antkeeper01 and Leptomyrmx like this

#70 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 22 2022 - 10:07 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

I guess when you all said Crematogaster were fun, you mean rollercoaster fun...

My Ants:

#71 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 24 2022 - 3:56 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Ok, Crematogaster update:

It's finally the school holidays for me, so I can relax and spend more time on ant stuff.

The first thing I did was move the Crematogasters into a more secure nest and outworld. I was very worried about them in their little hole, and the good news is, they're alive. The bad news is, they've about a quatre of their workers. I think I let the humidity get too high, so their new outworld is well ventilated.

I hope they'll be ok.

All the other colonies aren't doing much since it's getting colder here.

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and ColAnt735 like this

My Ants:

#72 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted July 22 2022 - 12:13 AM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Podomyrma update:

A new worker eclosed! The bad news is she didn't eclose particularly well and has a little trouble walking. I saw her cleaning brood though so at least she can do that.

No other updates due to the cold weather.

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM, ColAnt735 and 1 other like this

My Ants:

#73 Offline FinWins - Posted July 22 2022 - 8:45 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Podomyrma update:
A new worker eclosed! The bad news is she didn't eclose particularly well and has a little trouble walking. I saw her cleaning brood though so at least she can do that.

So one of my Pogonomyrmex rugosus workers enclosed poorly and it could hardly walk. It looked like it was go to die but when I checked on it later its exoskeleton had hardened up and it was running around like the other worker (small colony).

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#74 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted July 22 2022 - 4:25 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Podomyrma update:

So one of my Pogonomyrmex rugosus workers enclosed poorly and it could hardly walk. It looked like it was go to die but when I checked on it later its exoskeleton had hardened up and it was running around like the other worker (small colony).

And that's exactly what's happened! She can walk fine now.

• Antkeeper01, ColAnt735 and FinWins like this

My Ants:

#75 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted August 5 2022 - 5:26 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Very sad news. The Crematogaster queen passed away.  :*(

The high humidity in their old setup really weakened them and they weren't really eating, and the very cold weather didn't help either.

I feel really bad because I could have prevented it. :(

My Ants:

#76 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2022 - 3:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,402 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Nooooooooooooooooo

#77 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted June 3 2023 - 4:27 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Alright, I know I haven't been active on the forum much, but I might be able to revive this journal... a Pheidole antipodum queen popped up for sale for $80. I'm considering buying one, but then again, they have a pretty high death rate though.

I've been feeling a bit demotivated with antkeeping lately. My colonies never seem to get past the founding stage and grow slowly, which shouldn't be happening. I'm also kind of worried that I'll buy it and it'll die, which will make me feel worse. Any advice?

Edited by Leptomyrmx, June 3 2023 - 4:27 PM.

My Ants:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #iridomyrmex, meat ant, brachyponera, opisthopsis, podomyrma, crematogaster, aphaenogaster, pheidole, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users