• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Qld Australia!

#australia

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 6 2021 - 6:17 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

I finally decided to do an introduction!

Hello there! My name is Paige (Female) and I'm from the Gympie area Qld, Australia.
I'm 27 yo and only just got into ant keeping on Oct 22nd. Before that I was into succulent and Cacti and have a greenhouse full of them.

I'm unable to work for reasons I do not wish to say. (private) But the one part I will say is that I am recovering from Black mold exposure 10 years ago that has lend to me getting sick a lot.

Now to the ants!

I extensively researched ant keeping and everything I would need for:

Care, feeding, ant housings, tools as well as growing feeder insects. I have prior knowledge to cricket and mealworm keeping from hand raising a baby cattle egret chick (white heron bird) so I knew what to do with that and how to kill the insect for feeding. All I had to do is teach my self about ant keeping! Woot!

I've make one Ytong nest so far and use tub + tube set up for the rest.

I will be making more Ytong nests in the future for the rest of the colony's I have.

All colony's I have, have been collected by my self from my 4 acre property. I will not sell them and if for any reason I no longer want them, they will be released back to where I found them.
My property has a huge range of ant species and too many nests around the place to count.

I've got a few mated Queens in test tubes and will most likely sell some once they get their first nanitics.

I'm also making an orchid plant Terrarium but won't be adding ants to that. 

I'll make a journal on my ants and update what happens there.

Also.. I used to hate almost all ants but the golden spiny ants I've seen running around and they are the main reason I have decided to get into ant keeping.
I love the big ants and the SUPER small mini ones. Anything in between does not catch much of my interest. hahah. (but its changing)

Thank you for reading and I've had a lovely time chatting on this site so far with so many nice people around. <3

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and WideBrownLand like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#2 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 6 2021 - 1:20 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Welcome! I was into succulents and cacti as well before finding an interest in ants. The two seem connected in more ways then one. It's always nice to see other ant keepers outside the U.S., and I'm looking forward to seeing all the Austrialian species you have on your property, along with the orchid Terrarium!

• Antkeeper01 and PaigeX like this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#3 Offline antsriondel - Posted December 16 2021 - 11:08 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

along with the orchid Terrarium!

what orchid terrarium??????

#4 Offline Peter789 - Posted December 16 2021 - 5:19 PM

Peter789

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I too have a Terrarium but will have to take out the carniverous plants before introducing ants.

Maybe a separate tank one day.
  • PaigeX likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users