• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

E.O. Wilson, Myrmecologist extraordinaire has passed away

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted December 27 2021 - 5:47 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Apologies again for the NYT paywall but I wanted to get this out. I’m just saddened. His history had flaws and his reputation extremely rich yet complicated. What I didn’t learn from you all on the forum about ants and anting, I learned from him and his writings. He will be missed…

E.O. Wilson, a Pioneer of Evolutionary Biology, Dies at 92

https://www.nytimes....ce=articleShare

Edited by ConcordAntman, December 27 2021 - 6:56 AM.

• uso, Zeiss, madbiologist and 1 other like this

#2 Offline PaigeX - Posted December 27 2021 - 6:39 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationGympie, QLD, Australia

As a new ant Keeper I do not know much about other ant keepers, biologist, naturalist, and writers. But I have heard about Him before I even started ant keeping and I'm sure I've watched a few things on YouTube about him talking before. Seemed like a very nice man.

• uso and madbiologist like this

Favourite Genus: Polyrhachis 

Journal: Main

Instagram: australian_polyrhachis

May God Bless you.

#3 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted December 27 2021 - 7:03 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I have his books The Ants, and Journey to the Ants. They nurtured my lifelong interest in social insects. His views on sociobiology and their interpretation left me conflicted and caused quite a bit of controversy. But, as you may have seen in his YouTube clips, his pursuit of the wonder of life in all its forms, is ultimately uplifting. 

• uso and madbiologist like this

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 27 2021 - 7:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Memory eternal! He will be sorely missed. May he rest in peace with true Superorganism.
  • uso, ConcordAntman, madbiologist and 1 other like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline madbiologist - Posted December 27 2021 - 8:20 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I just got a few of his books for Christmas. From the first few pages it was clear that he lived a long and eventful life, reminded me of how my grandfather would talk about his youth.

• uso, ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 27 2021 - 8:20 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
EO wilson is widely considered one of the greatest myrmecologists of all time, so this is extremely sad news. He was an inspiration to many people, including myself.
  • uso, ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#7 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 27 2021 - 9:25 AM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I just saw this on the news, honestly I have no words.  With what Manitobant said, he was one of the biggest inspirations for me.  At least the time he spent here won't go in vain, as he amassed a great deal of knowledge for the world to know.

• uso, ConcordAntman and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#8 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted December 27 2021 - 10:08 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Like has been said he lived a long and eventful life and was an inspiration to antkeepers everywhere

• uso, ConcordAntman and Chickalo like this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#9 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 28 2021 - 12:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I just ordered Wilson’s The Ants $135. 🤪😬 I’ve been trying to find it in a library for years now. Finally bit the bullet.
  • uso, ConcordAntman, Antkeeper01 and 2 others like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#10 Offline uso - Posted December 28 2021 - 8:59 PM

uso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

I just found out and am saddened at the loss of a real trailblazer in biology. I have a couple of his books (The Insect Societies and Journey to the Ants) and remember in high school just sitting on the floor among the shelves turning through The Superorganism and The Ants (really more for the weird natural history and the pictures, lol)- they really laid the foundation for my own interests today. I wish I'd gotten to meet him! But I'm glad he got to live his dream of seeing biology evolve into the infinity of possibilities it is today during his lifetime, and let's all be mindful of his legacy to appreciate and preserve our planet's biodiversity in its entirety.

• ConcordAntman, PurdueEntomology and ANTdrew like this

#11 Offline uso - Posted December 28 2021 - 9:10 PM

uso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

For those who want to read the NYT article I saved it as a .html file and have attached it here. Hope this works, if not the clunky pdf printout is there too!

Attached Files

• ConcordAntman, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users