• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen with identity crisis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted December 24 2021 - 12:09 AM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria

On this picture you see a female alate who's been in the worker force for many months now.
As far as I know she's the only one of her kind (I recognize her by the way her wings are ripped at the tips).
She's gathering food, is hunting, constructing nest and in this pic just scouting along with other ants.
From her behavior not distinguishable between the workers.

Has anyone of you ever had something like this in your own colony?
They are semi claustral maybe she wants to practice for a future founding stage?
I haven't observed this in the wild so she might not fully be aware what she was born as but since she can't have a mating flight she's living her life to the fullest potential as a worker.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#2 Offline SYUTEO - Posted December 24 2021 - 12:37 AM

SYUTEO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Queen alates in captivity usually act like workers since there usually isn't a nuptial flight in captivity.

• Manitobant, AntaholicAnonymous, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

Began antkeeping in 2018  :)

All ant journal: https://www.formicul...os-ant-journal/

#3 Offline Manitobant - Posted December 24 2021 - 9:00 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
This is normal. If a colony gets alates and fails to have a nuptial flight, the virgin queens will shed their wings and become workers. Males will still die, however.
  • AntaholicAnonymous, Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

#4 Offline Chickalo - Posted December 24 2021 - 12:11 PM

Chickalo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSalem, Massachusetts

I believe in most/some species if they fail to mate they either get rejected or become workers, no second chances in the ant world.  I think this is why I've found Camponotus queens in late fall, rejects/worker alates who didn't make it this years nuptial flights.

• AntaholicAnonymous and Antkeeper01 like this

シグナチャーです。예.

#5 Offline AntaholicAnonymous - Posted December 24 2021 - 6:05 PM

AntaholicAnonymous

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationAustria
Very interesting thank you.
I'm surprised I never heared of it if it's that common.

I assumed they'd just wait in the nest for a flight that'll never come. I'm glad they are still useful to the colony.
I bet semi claustral queens are a lot more useful as workers than fully claustral ones. Manica queens don't differ much from the largest workers so they fit right in.
  • Antkeeper01 and Chickalo like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users