• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

PaigeX Myrmecia Fulvipes Journal

#australia

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaigeX - Posted November 24 2021 - 1:05 AM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

Hey all!       EDIT: She is Myrmecia Chrysogaster.

Today as I was walking around my 4 acre property following a Polyrhachis Ornata trail (that I only just found out about) and I spotted a huge ant.
I was amazed as I have not seen any big ants for many years. Like non at all. Once closer, I recognised its colour as I've seen it for sale on Queenofants.com.au

I picked it up with a container to get a closer look and saw it was a Queen!! I'm flabbergasted at the find and so happy. 

As a new ant keeper, I have very little experience in general so I'm starting this journal as a way to share what I encounter and any problems I might have keeping 

Myrmecia Chrysogaster.

I hope you enjoy this along the way and if you have any Tips on how to look after Myrmecia, it would be much appreciated!

The container in the pictures is what I have made myself. Made for Semi-Claustral Queens I might find in my yard... maybe a little too small for her? I'll have to make a larger one maybe.
Container has fluon around the sides but this queen does not seem to be affected by it. (not stopping her from crawling out xD)

The whole set up.

Attached File  IMG_20211124_154827_3.jpg   127.72KB   0 downloads

Her eating the honey I put in. I added seeds just because. ( shrugs shoulders) xD

Attached File  IMG_20211124_15485_2.jpg   162.51KB   0 downloads

Spilt seeds when getting a good picture. She stared right at me. I heard that Myrmecia have great eye sight but it still shocked me.

Attached File  IMG_20211124_181217_1.jpg   232.05KB   0 downloads

Edited by PaigeX, November 26 2021 - 3:44 PM.

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and Leptomyrmx like this

Favourite Ant Genus: Polyrhachis 

Here's the list of ants I have so far:

Golden Bull Ant - Myrmecia Chrysogaster - Queen in test tube and small outworld. No eggs yet.
Golden Tailed Spiny Ant - Polyrhachis Ammon - Or might be Polyrhachis Brisbanensis. - Colony.
Also a few Queens in test tubes with small outworlds.
Golden Tailed Spiny Ant - Polyrhachis Vermiculosa - Colony.
Golden Tail Sugar Ant - Camponotus Aeneopilosus - A few queens in test tubes.
Household Sugar Ant - Camponotus Humilior - A few queens in test tubes.
White-Legged Sugar Ant - Camponotus Elegans - Colony.
Brachyponera lutea - Queen in test tube - has eggs, larvae and cocoons.
Black Pavement Ant - Iridomyrmex Bicknelli - Queen in test tube. Has first workers.
Black Ant - Ochetellus glaber - Colony. 

One mini small orange Ant queen of 3mm in size. (0.11 inch) Has some eggs already.
One unidentified Golden Spiny Ant queen in test tube with eggs. Larger in size than Polyrhachis Vermiculosa by 1mm.
One unidentified Golden Spiny Ant colony. Smaller than Polyrhachis Vermiculosa by 1-2 mm.

May God Bless you. 

#2 Offline Leptomyrmx - Posted November 26 2021 - 12:55 PM

Leptomyrmx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

I think this might actually be M. chrysogaster, the petiole (I think that's what it's called) and mandibles are red, they're black for M. fulvipes. Very cool find, I hear that the mandibularis species group which this ant is from isn't as aggressive as other bull ants usually.

EDIT: Chrysogaster isn't mandibularis group, they're pilosula group, sorry.

Edited by Leptomyrmx, November 29 2021 - 8:27 PM.

• Antkeeper01, JCRHJM and PaigeX like this

Leptomyrmx is my name, not the title btw : P

I comment on 10 year old posts, kindly deal with it :]
Keeper of:

Camponotus humilior

Opisthopsis rufithorax

Pheidole sp.

And around 15 other queens.

#3 Offline PaigeX - Posted November 26 2021 - 3:40 PM

PaigeX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationSunshine Coast, QLD, Australia

I think this might actually be M. chrysogaster, the petiole (I think that's what it's called) and mandibles are red, they're black for M. fulvipes. Very cool find, I hear that the mandibularis species group which this ant is from isn't as aggressive as other bull ants usually.

Ohhh!! I think your right on that. I used www.queenofants.com.au to compare pictures. I knew she was not Myrmecia Piliventris because she has red legs but I didn't see the other one with mandibles and red node. 
I'll see if I can edit that. Thank you so much <3

Edited by PaigeX, November 26 2021 - 3:41 PM.

Favourite Ant Genus: Polyrhachis 

Here's the list of ants I have so far:

Golden Bull Ant - Myrmecia Chrysogaster - Queen in test tube and small outworld. No eggs yet.
Golden Tailed Spiny Ant - Polyrhachis Ammon - Or might be Polyrhachis Brisbanensis. - Colony.
Also a few Queens in test tubes with small outworlds.
Golden Tailed Spiny Ant - Polyrhachis Vermiculosa - Colony.
Golden Tail Sugar Ant - Camponotus Aeneopilosus - A few queens in test tubes.
Household Sugar Ant - Camponotus Humilior - A few queens in test tubes.
White-Legged Sugar Ant - Camponotus Elegans - Colony.
Brachyponera lutea - Queen in test tube - has eggs, larvae and cocoons.
Black Pavement Ant - Iridomyrmex Bicknelli - Queen in test tube. Has first workers.
Black Ant - Ochetellus glaber - Colony. 

One mini small orange Ant queen of 3mm in size. (0.11 inch) Has some eggs already.
One unidentified Golden Spiny Ant queen in test tube with eggs. Larger in size than Polyrhachis Vermiculosa by 1mm.
One unidentified Golden Spiny Ant colony. Smaller than Polyrhachis Vermiculosa by 1-2 mm.

May God Bless you. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #australia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users